Gpu upgrade or cpu

vapolution

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi guys. I currently have a spphire 4830 512mb and a kuma x2 7750 oc'ed to 3.1. Im in the market for a 200 dollar upgrade and am wondering what the best path would be. Should I crossfire the 4830 and upgrade to an athlon II x4, or drop all the cash on a new generation vid card, or phenom quad. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
If your 4830 can handle the games you play at the desired resolution, then upgrade the CPU for even faster framerates. If your videocard is already choking or struggling with your games, then upgrade the GPU.

If you're gonna use apps that can uses all available cores, photo/video editing, then upgrade the CPU.

vapolution

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply :) . So now I have another question. Would the 7750 bottleneck cross-fired 4830s, or even a single 5770? I've researched a bit about bottlenecking, but it seems that the general opinion is that there has to be a very large age gap in hardware, ie. 3 year old processor with a 2 month old vid card. I know it's pretty lame using age rather than spec's for comparisen, but there really isn't any set manual on what will bottleneck what. To that end, I expect that I'll be playing games like starcraft 2 or diablo 3 in the future.....BFBC2 and MW2 currently.