Hundenabbe

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
Hello, I don't have the money to upgrade my whole system, because getting the newer chips means I have to upgrade my ram and motherboard.
I'm just looking to upgrade my gpu to GTX 1070 or RTX 2060. I've read that bottlenecks will occur using both these cards because of my processor.
With the card I will also buy a cpu liquid cooler to overclock my cpu.

I really want the RTX 2060 but I think the GTX 1070 will push more frames because of I7 4770k + RTX 2060 = heavy bottleneck?

I need some more pro info on this.

I'm using 144hz

My spec:
GTX 780 Ti
i74770k 3.5ghz.
Kingston 8GB RAM .
Kingston SSD.
850W NZXT Hale90 PSU.
MSI Z87 45 Gaming motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
Alright, since I already have 2 kingston 4 gb rams on my motherboard, can I buy a different brand with the same speed and will still work?
The best way is to find exactly the same RAM's model as You have, paired in dual 2x4GB. If You can't, You should try at least to match the parameters to be same/very similar.

I will probably only run 1080p 144hz, except for csgo where I run 1280x1024
Then You are kinda good with GTX 1070/1660ti/2060.

I think I might get the Corsair Hydro H115i
Waste of money.
If You want to go high-end cooling, then Dark rock Pro 4 / Noctua DH-15 will do the job. (cheaper, no water - no problems, less noise, same efficiency on this CPU). The only thing You need to check is the...
Can you actually find a 1070 in stock somewhere? They're getting hard to find. The only one I could find after a quick search just now was a little miniITX version, which isn't really what you want for a full sized gaming build. The prices are so similar from what I can tell that the 2060 is a very clear choice, unless you've found some heavily reduced 1070 somewhere?

If you OC that CPU, I really don't think you'll be heavily CPU bound outside of the most CPU intensive titles, which are very much the minority. You'll probably be losing a few frames here and there, but I'd expect your system to keep a 2060 pegged in the high 90% usage in the vast majority of titles, particularly with a CPU OC.

If aesthetics are important to you then by all means get a liquid cooler, but it's worth pricing a decent air cooler like the Noctua NH-U14S. Plenty of cooling for that CPU and will last you years over multiple system upgrades.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
The best budget solution is to go for second hand GTX 1070 (You can have it for about 200-250$, at least at my place). What is important here is to have manufacturer's valid warranty for that for at least 1-2 years.
If You want to go new card, go for RTX 2060 or GTX 1660ti.

On both options, You might want to overclock Your CPU a bit to catch up to those cards, especially at resolution of 1080p and below. If You OC Your CPU, it should be a perfect match.

P.S. As others suggested, go for +8 GB RAM.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I7 4770k + RTX 2060 = heavy bottleneck? Really!?

I don't think you'll have a problem at all. The 4770K is still a pretty strong processor. There will always be some bottleneck between components. The issue is really if the bottleneck is problematic which I don't think they will be. Plus higher resolutions swing towards the GPU.

I7 4770K + 1070 here [at 3440 x 1440] and no complaints.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
I really want the RTX 2060 but I think the GTX 1070 will push more frames
It doesn't work this way. FPS is limited either by GPU or CPU. One of them will always hit 100% usage and won't be able to deliver more.
CPU calculates, GPU draws.
Theorethically You can't get less fps on a stronger card.
At worst case You will get the same amount, cuz of CPU load will be at 100% and it won't be able to deliver more per second. Depends on the game and on resolution/settings You play. The higher resolution, the more GPU is loaded with the same framerates amount.

I7 4770k + RTX 2060 = heavy bottleneck? Really!?

I don't think you'll have a problem at all. The 4770K is still a pretty strong processor. There will always be some bottleneck between components. The issue is really if the bottleneck is problematic which I don't think they will be. Plus higher resolutions swing towards the GPU.

I7 4770K + 1070 here [at 3440 x 1440] and no complaints.
It’s very resolution and game specific. You are running a much higher resolution than say 1080p. Any bottleneck would be far greater at 1080p.

Hundenabbe

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
It doesn't work this way. FPS is limited either by GPU or CPU. One of them will always hit 100% usage and won't be able to deliver more.
CPU calculates, GPU draws.
Theorethically You can't get less fps on a stronger card.
At worst case You will get the same amount, cuz of CPU load will be at 100% and it won't be able to deliver more per second. Depends on the game and on resolution/settings You play. The higher resolution, the more GPU is loaded with the same framerates amount.
Ah, okey. I am probably only gonna play 1080p to get the most frames as possible. I only have 1920x1080 screen.

Hundenabbe

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
Can you actually find a 1070 in stock somewhere? They're getting hard to find. The only one I could find after a quick search just now was a little miniITX version, which isn't really what you want for a full sized gaming build. The prices are so similar from what I can tell that the 2060 is a very clear choice, unless you've found some heavily reduced 1070 somewhere?

If you OC that CPU, I really don't think you'll be heavily CPU bound outside of the most CPU intensive titles, which are very much the minority. You'll probably be losing a few frames here and there, but I'd expect your system to keep a 2060 pegged in the high 90% usage in the vast majority of titles, particularly with a CPU OC.

If aesthetics are important to you then by all means get a liquid cooler, but it's worth pricing a decent air cooler like the Noctua NH-U14S. Plenty of cooling for that CPU and will last you years over multiple system upgrades.

Hundenabbe

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
The best budget solution is to go for second hand GTX 1070 (You can have it for about 200-250$, at least at my place). What is important here is to have manufacturer's valid warranty for that for at least 1-2 years.
If You want to go new card, go for RTX 2060 or GTX 1660ti.

On both options, You might want to overclock Your CPU a bit to catch up to those cards, especially at resolution of 1080p and below. If You OC Your CPU, it should be a perfect match.

P.S. As others suggested, go for +8 GB RAM.
Alright, since I already have 2 kingston 4 gb rams on my motherboard, can I buy a different brand with the same speed and will still work?

At 1280x1024 in cs go you will be significantly cpu limited but your FPS will still be high, you just won’t come close to fully utilising your gpu, a stronger gpu would give higher FPS.

At 1080p in cpu heavy games you will also be cpu limited but probably not enough to worry about, I’d still expect >100 FPS in nearly all games.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
The best way is to find exactly the same RAM's model as You have, paired in dual 2x4GB. If You can't, You should try at least to match the parameters to be same/very similar.

Waste of money.
If You want to go high-end cooling, then Dark rock Pro 4 / Noctua DH-15 will do the job. (cheaper, no water - no problems, less noise, same efficiency on this CPU). The only thing You need to check is the height of Your RAM - those have big radiators, and might not fit with the ram. But there is a lot of alternatives, You can buy something cheaper as well.
I'd use this Corsair watercooling only if i had no space in my rig.

Solution

Hundenabbe

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014

Waste of money.
If You want to go high-end cooling, then Dark rock Pro 4 / Noctua DH-15 will do the job. (cheaper, no water - no problems, less noise, same efficiency on this CPU). The only thing You need to check is the height of Your RAM - those have big radiators, and might not fit with the ram. But there is a lot of alternatives, You can buy something cheaper as well.
I'd use this Corsair watercooling only if i had no space in my rig.
Yea, my case is med tower. So it might get a little bit to much. But I have enough for watercooling so I might go for the boomchackalacka