[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade Recommendation Based on Current Specs? (6 year old PC)

Sep 20, 2020
Hi there, everyone! So about 6 years ago (2014), I finally bought my dream gaming PC and it's served me really well over the years. All I've really had to do over the years are a few fan replacements, a cooling unit replacement, and general dusting! I've also added a few extra SSDs, just for more gaming space. The GTX 980 has been a great card for me, but it's starting to strain a bit on some of the newer games, and now that we're up to (almost) the 3090s, I'm looking for recommendations on what makes sense based on my CPU and other hardware. I'm just not very good on knowing what works well with what, and what will get me the biggest improvements until I finally have to spring on a new rig. I'd like to stick with NVIDIA as I'm looking for the most simple install possible as I don't have a lot of experience building rigs. I can follow youtube tutorials and such, but I'd like to keep things as easy as possible with as much of a performance upgrade I can get.

Does it even pay to try to get one of the 3000 series with my CPU? Should I change/get more RAM? Do I get the same kind of RAM or is there a new kind I should get? I'm open to any and all ideas! Thanks!

Current specs:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
Corsair Hydro H60 Liquid Cooling
16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB (SC version)
Corsair Enthusiast Series RM750 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold
Win 10 64-Bit

Solution
My monitor is older, 60hz refresh rate. The ti isn't much more than the s, probably just go with that one.

Do you know of any good tutorials for replacing a graphics card with similar specs to mine? Is it pretty easy process? I've done basic stuff before (adding hard drives, replacing the water cooling unit) but never a GPU swap. Hoping to do as little damage as possible! lol I'm most worried about the software side of it once I have it installed!
Then the 1660 ti would be nice here matching with your monitor specs. There isnt any special to replacing a gpu. The rest of the specs doesnt matter. But before you removed your old gpu, use DDU to uninstall the drivers first. Here's a guide for you to follow.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The best video card for that CPU is a 1660Ti or a RX 570. Anything higher and the card will be bottlenecked by your quad core CPU at only 4Ghz. Also what resolution do you play at because 1080p is your only option with graphics set to medium on newer AAA titles.🙈🤷‍♂️✝👩‍🦲💯🎗

Reactions: piggiepete
Sep 20, 2020
Appreciate that guys, thank you! I only play at 1080p at this point in time, like I said, I do feel the drag with my current system.

Would I be able to plug and play for the most part, or do you foresee any other needed upgrades for said card? What's the best 1660 to get?

What's strange to me is most 1660s I'm seeing are cheaper than many of the 980s! I just want to make sure I'm actually get some money's worth out of the upgrade if at all possible. It's just a stall anyways, I was planning on a new rig this year, but with the pandemic and all, funds are down.

Last edited:

poorbugger

Distinguished
Appreciate that guys, thank you! I only play at 1080p at this point in time, like I said, I do feel the drag with my current system.

Would I be able to plug and play for the most part, or do you foresee any other needed upgrades for said card? What's the best 1660 to get?

What's strange to me is most 1660s I'm seeing are cheaper than many of the 980s! I just want to make sure I'm actually get some money's worth out of the upgrade if at all possible. It's just a stall anyways, I was planning on a new rig this year, but with the pandemic and all, funds are down.
If the gtx 1660s is cheaper a lot than the 1660 ti, get the 1660s. Evga has always been my nvidia go to. Avoid msi ventus or gigabyte windforce, they run hot and loud. What's your monitor refresh rate?

Sep 20, 2020
If the gtx 1660s is cheaper a lot than the 1660 ti, get the 1660s. Evga has always been my nvidia go to. Avoid msi ventus or gigabyte windforce, they run hot and loud. What's your monitor refresh rate?

My monitor is older, 60hz refresh rate. The ti isn't much more than the s, probably just go with that one.

Do you know of any good tutorials for replacing a graphics card with similar specs to mine? Is it pretty easy process? I've done basic stuff before (adding hard drives, replacing the water cooling unit) but never a GPU swap. Hoping to do as little damage as possible! lol I'm most worried about the software side of it once I have it installed!

poorbugger

Distinguished

Then the 1660 ti would be nice here matching with your monitor specs. There isnt any special to replacing a gpu. The rest of the specs doesnt matter. But before you removed your old gpu, use DDU to uninstall the drivers first. Here's a guide for you to follow.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-2B14Nckw

Solution