[SOLVED] GPU upgrade recommendations - older desktop

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Currently have Intel Board DG33FB (CPU Q9550) 4GB memory with planned upgrade to Bd max of 8gb PC2 6400 that will hopefully dual channel. Board has a PCIe 2.0 x16 Slot
Current GPU is a Radeon HD 5750 1Gb, a PCIe 2.0 x16 card.
Looking at two options, both shorty versions as the current card is so long it butts against a hard drive and is an airflow blocker.
RX560 4Gb or GTX 1050TI 4Gb. Both of there are PCIe 3.0 though my Board is PCIe 2.0
I run dual boot W10 and XP-for the old racing games i play. Not interested in most modern games.
Please point out any problems in my choices as well/ Advice to get a total upgrade of everything is not what i am looking for.

Last edited:
Solution
I'd go for 1151 (newer chipset) if wondering between both sockets (brands).
1050 ti is a pretty good idea; if not too big for the mobo/case, why not. 1650 is even stronger and has xtra small variations with no PSU-cabels needed (ye, more dollars needed there). Cheap small non-pretentious 1030s and 750 ti also appear from time to time, but I dunno ur pocket and performance needs.
3.0 cards works on 2.0 slot, this would not be a problem., I have a 1050 on a similar mobo (dq45cb).
for OS, win 10 usually feels better on sockets 1150 & 1151 & amd-equivalents, while socket 775 feels better with 7 & xp, but do as u wish.
For the bios update...well, it is highly unlikely there to be a problem. I can not guarantee 1000% if not having the latest...

adam19255

Respectable
Dec 13, 2018
I think your board won't support this GPUs, older MOBOs don't have the instructions needed to run new GPUs, you will need to but a new platform altogether in my opinion, but if you want to try then I recommend you go with an RX570 instead of those options, it 50% more powerful than a 1050Ti and costs less like this one: https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-G...203c59ed80321ac146122563d03c2a&language=en_US

You need to have at least a 350-400W PSU with good Voltages to run this cards with no problems

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Length is an issue that is why i want a shorty GPU. In addition, neither of the choices i made require an external power plug, all power is via the PCIe slot. My PS was upgraded sometime ago(i think 500W) to make sure i had the power needed to add a few things as well as GPU that require external power.
Remember, i am only looking to play games that pretty much came out before PCIe was in use so a lot of power would be wasted...

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
I think your board won't support this GPUs, older MOBOs don't have the instructions needed to run new GPUs, you will need to but a new platform altogether in my opinion, but if you want to try then I recommend you go with an RX570 instead of those options, it 50% more powerful than a 1050Ti and costs less like this one:

You need to have at least a 350-400W PSU with good Voltages to run this cards with no problems
FYI- i need a shorty GPU prefer one that wont need the extra power cable- my HD5750 was just about right up against a hard drive/back to back. A shorty with a power cord would work wit the extra space though.
I also have learned that intel has discontinued support so i cant even download any of the updated BIOS from the past couple years. I can understand not developing anything new, but they are gone despite some avaialability(found a few new DG33 bds). So, given that what is my next best bet? 1151 or move to AMD? What do you recommend?

1050 ti is a pretty good idea; if not too big for the mobo/case, why not. 1650 is even stronger and has xtra small variations with no PSU-cabels needed (ye, more dollars needed there). Cheap small non-pretentious 1030s and 750 ti also appear from time to time, but I dunno ur pocket and performance needs.
3.0 cards works on 2.0 slot, this would not be a problem., I have a 1050 on a similar mobo (dq45cb).
for OS, win 10 usually feels better on sockets 1150 & 1151 & amd-equivalents, while socket 775 feels better with 7 & xp, but do as u wish.
For the bios update...well, it is highly unlikely there to be a problem. I can not guarantee 1000% if not having the latest, but I don't have the latest for mine either. (123 in latest 133, also un-findable).
A good seller would let u return video card if incompatible (I give possible failure a 0.05% chance).

Solution

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
For the bios update...well, it is highly unlikely there to be a problem. I can not guarantee 1000% if not having the latest, but I don't have the latest for mine either. (123 in latest 133, also un-findable).
A good seller would let u return video card if incompatible (I give possible failure a 0.05% chance).
I think there was a bios update that allowed the MB to use the quad core CPUs but im not sure.If i get a board with original bios...i dunno.