Question GPU upgrade suggestion from RX480

Jun 29, 2019
Hi, I have my Sapphire Nitro+ OC 4GB with me for about 3 years already and I'm planning to upgrade it ... now if possible. I need a suggestion from GPU enthusiast since I'm not really following GPU news until several days ago.

My PC set up currently is R5 3600 with B450m motherboard, 16GB RAM (2133Mhz), RX480 4GB and PSU Bitfenix whisper 650w gold.

I'm actually aiming for GPU under ~$700, which in my country, RTX2070 super fits perfectly there.. but here, there's also some RTX2080 fits in this category.. and I heard that Radeon 5700 XT is quite good also.. I feel lost here.. I mostly use the PC for home media center and casual gaming at 1080p. Targetting for good image quality, 60 fps, possibly VR-ready and long-lasting card with good lifespan.. also, I'm not interested in overclocking.

Here's the GPU price in my country:
  • Zotac RTX 2070 super AMP at ~$570
  • MSI RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC at ~$600
  • INNO3D Geforce RTX 2080 X2 OC at ~$640
  • GALAX GeForce RTX 2080 EX (1-Click OC) at ~$640
  • Most RX5700XT at ~$475
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Tony

Veradun

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Coming from an RX480, I'd suggest a non XT RX5700, the performance step up is huge and it starts at 330$ (XFX RX5700 DD Ultra). Just avoid MSI (unless you want the overpriced Gaming X) and ASUS.

The best designs are:
Powercolor Red Devil (3-fan)
Sapphire Pulse

Cheap but still good options:
XFX DD Ultra
Powercolor Red Dragon

As for image quality I hear a lot of disappointment from people that go from Radeon to Geforce.

As for long lasting, well, I have bad news if you mean long lasting performance, it never happened (and that's why I suggest a plain 5700, should it be the case you spent half your budget and you can spend the other half in two years for another upgrade :D )

Jun 29, 2019
It's been a long time since I used power color, is it better now? I once used power color sniper TNT2 M64, it didn't really perform well at that time and only lasted for less than two years before it broke down.

Is it true that the image quality is better on Radeon than GeForce? and how about the RTX feature? That one is interesting even though not many games support it right now..

How about Inno3D with RTX2080? Inno3D was well known GPU makers back then, but just heard about them again recently... I'm planning to use the GPU for maybe about five or more years, I need one that aged well like maybe GTX 1080, so maybe, I'm willing to get an RTX2080 for ~$640 if the brand is okay and confirmed to be reliable one.

and how about the RTX feature? That one is interesting even though not many games support it right now..
Even on supported games RTX is really only viable on a 2080ti during gameplay, it presents that much of an FPS burden. And only with reduced settings even then.

For the other cards it can make for some really nice snapshot scenes though.

5700/5700XT is the best choice for value but whichever you choose, once you've made a choice for specific GPU (5700xt vs 2080 vs 2070 Super etc.) I'd suggest browsing reviews to get a feel for which mfr's have good the good ones.

Be careful about judging based on past performers, though, as many mfr's frequently screw the pooch with new cards. That's why the reviews are a good idea.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019
Hi.. Just a bit update here;

The RTX2080 is all out of stock. I think the local stores here were having a clearance sale of 2080, and almost all of them did not have the stock anymore.

Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT is at $500, with one bonus game of choice, between borderlands 3 or ghost recon breakpoint.. each one of the game costs $45 here.

Zotac RTX 2070 Super AMP with ~$550 after rebate and bonus Call of Duty Modern Warfare on battle-net, which supposed to be worth about $60. So I thought the card itself should be about $490-$500, which has about $50 price differences with 5700XT.

so finally, after reading reviews here and there, I decided to take the RTX 2070 super.

edit: thank you for all the input..

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS