Question GPU upgrade suggestions to pair with an i5-12600KF ?

kYmo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hi,

So I upgraded my rig in June last year and held out on the GPU as the chip shortage/scalping was in affect still and pricing was ridiculous.

Now that pricing is good again I'd like to upgrade my 6 year old GPU(LOL) but can't decide between a RX 6950XT & the RX 6800XT as theyre the best price/per performance I see right now to match my CPU speed.

Budget is £500 (British pounds) could push to £600 at most.

Current specs are as follows:
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4
i5-12600KF 4.8ghz OC
Asus Strix GTX 1060 6GB
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16gb DDR4 4400 cl19
Corsair RMX-750w Gold
Crucial P3+ 1tb 5GB/s M.2 NVMe SSD

I'm not intested in ray tracing or VR ill be mainly using the pc for 1080p gaming but id like the option for 1440p as I have a dual monitor setup atm and will be upgrading both monitors very soon so might bump up the resolution if framerates are stable in whichever game i decide to play

I'm currently.playing FiveM and will be buying the new Star Wars Jedi Survivor game to play.

Preferably id like the rig to last atleast 3+ years as I'm not an avid gamer or rig builder like I used to be for years.

Any advice/perspectives is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you for taking your time to read this post and I look forward to hearing from your suggestions :)

Solution
Forgot to mention I run a smart plug on the pc and have ran 3DMark Time Spy stress test and power draw doesn't go above 335-350w with current gpu, that leaves me with alot of headroom so I'm not worried about that tbh
I would probably look at the 6800XT or get the stock AMD 6950XT and limit your CPU to like 190 watts instead of the peak 225 it can hit. Or just don't run any stress test as they got a peak of 225 here.

kYmo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Corsair RMX-750w Gold
I'd tread with some caution if you're looking at the RX6950XT, since that will warrant a little more power. The RX6800 on the other hand should be fine with the existing PSU.

Preferred site for purchase?
Forgot to mention I run a smart plug on the pc and have ran 3DMark Time Spy stress test and power draw doesn't go above 335-350w with current gpu, that leaves me with alot of headroom so I'm not worried about that tbh

AMD recommends an 850W PSU. Your unit is quite good, I run one myself however a power supply is NOT a place to skimp. If AMD recommends an 850W for the 6950XT, get an 850W. You stand to lose your entire system (potentially) otherwise. Stress testing does not tell the entire story, especially with components that are not currently drawing that much amperage.

Reactions: kYmo

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would probably look at the 6800XT or get the stock AMD 6950XT and limit your CPU to like 190 watts instead of the peak 225 it can hit. Or just don't run any stress test as they got a peak of 225 here.

Reactions: kYmo
Solution

kYmo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thinking on waiting a few more weeks as the rx 7700/7800 are about to release any moment.

Thanks for suggestion I was thinking I'd have to undervolt the cpu too with the 6950xt with the psu just to be safe but id rather not if i had the choice.