[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade Suggestions

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Hello,

I purchased my GPU two years ago and I'm entertaining the idea of replacing it for a better card. I'm pretty sure I can sell it for more or equal to the price I paid for it in 2020 and I wouldn't mind spending more for a better card. Any suggestions on replacement cards as I'm not all that knowledge on graphic cards in general.

MOBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT MECH OC (6GB GDDR6/PCI Express 4.0/1185MHz - 1600MHz/12000MHz)

Many thanks,

Masdock

Solution
I’ve just had a look at reviews of the 6600XT and 3060Ti. Both are top end of the budget and neither is a massive jump in performance, personally I don’t think it’s worth the cost but you can Google comparisons and reviews. I’d wait until next gen gpu’s release in the next 3-6 months. Hopefully then the same budget will give a more meaningful upgrade.

However I would also get a higher quality psu. The VS range are Corsairs bottom end PSU’s and not what is generally recommended for a gaming pc. An upgrade to an RMx model would be a good investment in the safety of the system before putting a better gpu in. Next gen gpu’s are looking likely to be more power hogs than the current generation.

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Make and model as well as the age of your PSU? You might also want to parse the budget for your GPU purchase as well as you location so we have some semblance of what you have access to.

Hello,

Here are my computers full specs:

MOBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT MECH OC (6GB GDDR6/PCI Express 4.0/1185MHz - 1600MHz/12000MHz)
PSU: Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

All purchased in 2020.

Price range for a GPU replacement I would imagine spending £300-400 if possible. If there was a better card I wouldn't mind. I think I can sell my current GPU for minimum £220 but I've seen ones on ebay for more.

Kind regards,

Masdock

I’ve just had a look at reviews of the 6600XT and 3060Ti. Both are top end of the budget and neither is a massive jump in performance, personally I don’t think it’s worth the cost but you can Google comparisons and reviews. I’d wait until next gen gpu’s release in the next 3-6 months. Hopefully then the same budget will give a more meaningful upgrade.

However I would also get a higher quality psu. The VS range are Corsairs bottom end PSU’s and not what is generally recommended for a gaming pc. An upgrade to an RMx model would be a good investment in the safety of the system before putting a better gpu in. Next gen gpu’s are looking likely to be more power hogs than the current generation.

Solution

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013

I'll look at getting a PSU replacement and wait for newer cards to release.

Many thanks!

Reactions: John Chesterfield
I'll look at getting a PSU replacement and wait for newer cards to release.

Many thanks!

You've had great advice here and following it is wise. There's nothing GPU wise for your budget that is gonna be a blow your socks off upgrade, but preparing for the day when you can do that upgrade by getting a quality power supply is sensible. A power supply with a 10 year warranty means it'll be there for you when you get a beefy GPU.

If you're unsure about which one to get, start a thread on here and you'll get very good advice like that given above.

TRENDING THREADS