[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade Time

Feb 23, 2020
Looking in about the $400-$600 range for new GPU. Will be upgrading the SSD soon as well. Current specs are below:

Primarily play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, BF4 are about as intense as I get. I do some photo editing but nothing extreme. Older guy who enjoys gaming. Current GPU is a bit old I am able to get well over 100 fps in COD, but get some lag here and there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Motherboard: Fatal1ty ASRock B450 Gamking K4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3400 Mhz
Memory: 16 gb DD4-2132
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
Windows 10
SSD Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb
Power Supply: 750 watt
Corsair water cooled CPU
Monitor: Acer XB240H G-Sync

Solution
I suggest fixing your memory situation first before looking into a gpu, or you will reduce the effect of a gpu upgrade.
That 2133 memory isn't doing your Ryzen 2600 any favors. Replace your current ram with a 3200mhz kit, then go from there.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I suggest fixing your memory situation first before looking into a gpu, or you will reduce the effect of a gpu upgrade.
That 2133 memory isn't doing your Ryzen 2600 any favors. Replace your current ram with a 3200mhz kit, then go from there.

Solution

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
I would recommend stay on nvidia series, bcus radeon series 5000 has a bad driver that cause some issue like BSOD, black screen every watching movie or when idle, etc
rtx 2060 super or rtx 2070 will match your spec, higher than that maybe gonna bottleneck your cpu and you need to upgrade your ram to 3000mhz or 3200mhz for safe place

Feb 23, 2020

I am trying to keep things a bit reasonable. I don't plan on buying any heavy graphic games in the near future. My GPU card is about 5 years old and need to upgrade my SSD to a larger drive just to keep Windows and the two games I play on the same drive. I will look in to the RAM in the near future though.

Feb 23, 2020
Kind of like I said to the other guy, I am trying to upgrade piece by piece. I'm getting a new SSD at least a terabyte to keep my games on one drive. I have a platter drive for photos and such. Memory speed really increase performance that much versus a new graphics card?

TRENDING THREADS