May 9, 2020
Hello,
I may have an old GPU that is starting to fail. Should I wait for the 3000 series or should I buy a GPU now? I play on 1080p.
My specs:
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon 480
PSU: EVGA GQ 850w 80+gold
MOBO: MSI B450 PRO-M2 Max
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000Mh

Solution
Honestly, something like a 1660 or a 1660 ti would be great for 1080p. Your CPU is fantastic, so there should be no problem there. That RX 480 is really starting to look old in 2020, but the rest of the system looks fine.

dimjemisboss

Commendable
Jul 12, 2018
Honestly, something like a 1660 or a 1660 ti would be great for 1080p. Your CPU is fantastic, so there should be no problem there. That RX 480 is really starting to look old in 2020, but the rest of the system looks fine.

Solution
May 9, 2020
Is that 1080p 60Hz or 144Hz or something else? You have lives with the 480 this long, I’d wait out for 3000 series as you should get more performance for a given budget.
1080p 60Hz. Do you know when the 3000 series is coming out? I have read that it will be released as early as June 2020 or as late as August 2020

1080p 60Hz. Do you know when the 3000 series is coming out? I have read that it will be released as early as June 2020 or as late as August 2020
I reckon around October-December timeframe. With uncertainties happening recently, I don't know for sure though. But I doubt it'll come earlier. RX 480 is enough for 60 Hz 1080p, so keep it until you have a better monitor. Black screen is probably a GPU issue and unlikely to be a PSU one, but please give an update on what happens after you replaced the PSU.

May 9, 2020
I reckon around October-December timeframe. With uncertainties happening recently, I don't know for sure though. But I doubt it'll come earlier. RX 480 is enough for 60 Hz 1080p, so keep it until you have a better monitor. Black screen is probably a GPU issue and unlikely to be a PSU one, but please give an update on what happens after you replaced the PSU.
I replaced it already today. It should not be a psu issue now. I tried to run the user benchmark test and it gave me a black screen after starting the gpu section of the test

May 9, 2020
Oh, there you go. Have you tried running DDU and reinstalling the driver cleanly? Also, if you can, if it's still under warranty, you can try that as well.
Ya, I ran the DDU and reinstalled the drivers. Sadly I can't apply for a warranty because I got it second hand from a friend. I speculate that my old PSU may have damaged my GPU but I'm not sure. Since installing my new PSU the black screens are not as frequent but it still happens. I'm torn between buying a gpu now or wait for the 3000 series since its rumored to be significantly more powerful than the 2000 series.

Ya, I ran the DDU and reinstalled the drivers. Sadly I can't apply for a warranty because I got it second hand from a friend. I speculate that my old PSU may have damaged my GPU but I'm not sure. Since installing my new PSU the black screens are not as frequent but it still happens. I'm torn between buying a gpu now or wait for the 3000 series since its rumored to be significantly more powerful than the 2000 series.
I see. What PSU were you running? People generally don't support the waiting game, but you ought to be smarter than that. The 3000 will bring great performance upgrades, even if Nvidia did nothing except a die shrink, they will at least gain 30-40% in every price point. I once advised someone not to upgrade around the end of 2016, because Zen is just around the corner. Someone else told him pull the trigger and don't play on the eternal waiting game. He did and when Zen came out, he wished that he listened to me. Every "waiting game" is different

It depends on how annoying the issue is. If it is annoying enough for you to toss it out, as if it crashes at least once every day - then you have no option to do but to replace it.

May 9, 2020
I see. What PSU were you running? People generally don't support the waiting game, but you ought to be smarter than that. The 3000 will bring great performance upgrades, even if Nvidia did nothing except a die shrink, they will at least gain 30-40% in every price point. I once advised someone not to upgrade around the end of 2016, because Zen is just around the corner. Someone else told him pull the trigger and don't play on the eternal waiting game. He did and when Zen came out, he wished that he listened to me. Every "waiting game" is different

It depends on how annoying the issue is. If it is annoying enough for you to toss it out, as if it crashes at least once every day - then you have no option to do but to replace it.
My PSU is the EVGA GQ 850w 80+ gold.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-8...ar-power-supply-black/5622834.p?skuId=5622834