[SOLVED] GPU upgrade

heartlessnoob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
Hello board people. I currently have a GTX 1080 and I am going to upgrade. I am thinking a 2080 Super, an RTX 3070 or an AMD 6800xt. I have never had an AMD GPU, it seems that not a lot of people have love for those. It looks like between those three the AMD is the way to go since it has 16GB of VR. What dyou guys recommend?

Solution
due to the demand and limited supply currently available, any of the above that you can actually get your hands on for a reasonable price will be a good option.
even used GTX 1000 & RTX 2000 series cards are going for very high prices right now.
RX 6000 & RTX 3000 series cards are almost unobtainable at anywhere near MSRP to most.

the RTX 3070 is on par with the RX 6700 XT and i can say that i am not impressed with the performance of the RX 6700 XT compared to my previous GTX 1080 Ti. also the AMD Adrenaline 2020 software is a disappointment compared to Nvidia Control Panel.
but it's only a temporary card until something better actually becomes available for a sane price.
i have been on the hunt for a 3090 for many months now...
due to the demand and limited supply currently available, any of the above that you can actually get your hands on for a reasonable price will be a good option.
even used GTX 1000 & RTX 2000 series cards are going for very high prices right now.
RX 6000 & RTX 3000 series cards are almost unobtainable at anywhere near MSRP to most.

the RTX 3070 is on par with the RX 6700 XT and i can say that i am not impressed with the performance of the RX 6700 XT compared to my previous GTX 1080 Ti. also the AMD Adrenaline 2020 software is a disappointment compared to Nvidia Control Panel.
but it's only a temporary card until something better actually becomes available for a sane price.
i have been on the hunt for a 3090 for many months now with no luck.

if you're considering putting out the money for an RX 6800 XT, MSRP on the low end ~$700 \ on the high end ~$1200;
i would definitely be looking for an RTX 3080 instead.

if you're concerned about lack of VRAM, just check what any games you're currently playing are using and compare.
Cyberpunk 2077 @ 3440x1440 with mostly ultra settings is still only using ~8GB for me and that's one of the highest reaching out of all of mine currently.

Solution