GPU usage 100% on most games causing streaming issues

Feb 2, 2019
Hello everyone! I have some issues while trying to stream certain games on my PC. Currently I have a single PC setup and have been considering a dual PC setup but that's a conversation for later.

Current PC build:

CPU: i7-8700k
GPU: 1080ti STRIX edition
RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyper X
PSU: 650 Watt G2 EVGA
Monitors:
- Primary Game monitor: Acer Predator 1440p 165hz (mostly run games at 100Hz or less for stream)
- Two LG 1080p 60Hz
Peripherals:
Elgato Stream Deck
Yamaha MG10XU
Elgato KeyLight
Thrustmaster HOTAS t16000M
Corsair Strafe RGB
Corsair Scimitar
Logitech C920 video camera

Twitch Settings: Using StreamLabs OBS and OBS Studio
Base Canvas: 2560x1440
Output: 1280x720
Downscale filter: Bicubic
FPS value: 60fps
Encoder: Software (x264)
Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: 4500
CPU usage Preset: fast, usually use faster though (I switch back and forth from time to time)
Profile: Main
Tune: None
Process Priority: High

TL;DR: PC use to be able to stream any game provided they were somewhat optimized, only thing that gave me trouble was Hunt: Showdown but I eventually found a setting that would work for me to get stable framerates in game and on OBS. After PC reset I can basically only stream Sea of Thieves.

Now with all that listed I have recently had to reset my PC because I couldn't play Hunt: Showdown anymore, had some issues with it launching and the PC reset was the only thing that worked. I reinstalled all of my softwares that I use on a regular basis etc and for the most part everything seems to work okay with Sea of Thieves.

However, I recently tried to do a stream of Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, which while I could do this before, I could not get the game to not use 100% of my GPU. I tried to stream Gang Beasts, same thing. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, same thing. I need to do some more testing with Warframe, Elite: Dangerous, and a few more games but I just can't figure out why stream is lagging if I am using CPU encoding

My roommate uses my PC to stream Hunt: Showdown, but still gets major FPS drops on the output, while the game runs fine. In fact, all the games I have trouble streaming run just fine on my monitor, but OBS can not seem to capture them right even though the CPU usage remains pretty low, no more than 15% ever.

My usual setup when I am streaming is left monitor has StreamLabs OBS, right monitor has discord and StreamLabs Chatbot. Then of course the game. Now I do mess with settings in games to make sure I am not pushing my GPU to hard but it just seems weird that I was unable to even stream Gang Beasts, let alone Lego Star Wars. To my knowledge there should be no reason for my GPU to not be able to handle those games with ease, and on top of that I dont' even use GPU encoding, so there shouldn't be any issues with stream output, I think.

Please help me solve this issue! The only thing I can think of is my RAM may be causing some issues, or maybe something is dying. Before my PC reset I was able to stream almost any game and I have no idea what happened. Things started going haywire and I can not figure it out. Please let me know if there needs to be any more information provided.

You didn't mention your ISP upload speed. It needs to be at least 9Mb to use 4500 stream bitrate. Also, since Intel 6 cores are not as good as Ryzen 8 cores for streaming, I would try playing at 1080p instead of 1440p, and streaming at 720p. It may also mean more viewers, because a lot of people don't have the ISP speed to view 1080 content without hiccups.

Feb 2, 2019

I have a 1GB up and down from AT&T. Also, I stream at 720 60fps not 1080

And furthermore I never go above 40-50% CPU and that's on very high end games. It's not my CPU that's the issue

Feb 2, 2019

Lagging on OBS preview as well as output. Game runs fine. I'm right there with you, I have no idea what is happening. I can't stream Lego Star Wars and I have no clue as to why. I went back through some VODs for Hunt: Showdown and it seems to be okay on OBS studio but not Streamlabs OBS. Yesterday's stream of the Anthem Demo was BAD. Was getting like 10FPS on streamlabs side. Game ran fine. But the monitor through task manager was 100% GPU and like 90% CPU but I think that's just cause the demo was horribly optimized

Feb 2, 2019

This is while streaming

Feb 2, 2019

Both. I've been streaming for like 2 years. Have had multiple IT jobs, built like 13 PCs now, and then all of a sudden my PC just shit itself and idk what to do to fix it