Question GPU Usage 100% when playing HELP!

Gabrielnigme20

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Hi,

i recently bought a new GPU (MSI Radeon VII 16gb) when i noticed that as soon (or just at the desktop) the computer would be so slow and so laggy.

so i tried to download the drivers and all that stuff but it didn't seem to work (i have also checked for malware and viruses with a bunch of deffreint softwares some of them being "Norten Security Pro" "AVG Pro" and a bunch of other ones) now i can kinda look at the desktop without lag, but in games i can see that it jumps from 0% gpu usage to 100% gpu usage (also the CPU usage at the desktop is super high "1-75%" the same with memory and disk)

i've tried everything and nothing works, so please help me!

specs for PC

* Strix B250F Gaming (Motherboard)

* MSI Radeon VII 16gb (GPU)

* Toshiba HDD p3000 2tb 7200rpm (HDD)

* Intel i7 7700k (CPU)

* Corsair HX1000i (power supply)

ps.

there is nothing overheating

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Did you remove the previous Nvidia drivers before installing the Radeon VII? Are your motherboard (Intel) chipset drivers up to date? Same question for Windows...

Are you running the most up to date version available for your motherboard BIOS?

Gabrielnigme20

Reputable
May 27, 2019
yeah, i've completely wiped the pc 3 times to try to fix it. And formatted all the hard drives (so i'm quite positive that the driver has been removed)
tho i'm not really sure about the motherboard driver (if it's the newest one)
ps.
there is also a SSD but theres nothing on it

Just tried to download a new BIOS, but how do you actually install it?? It gave me a zip file containing a "CAP" file
So what now?

Use the Motherboard's utility to update the BIOS. There must be some app/software which comes with your Motherboard for updating the BIOS, IMO. Else, try this method given below. Though, I'm not fully sure whether this method will work on your mobo model.
  • Boot to BIOS. Navigate to "Tool," then "EZ Flash."
  • Check your current BIOS version. Make a note.
  • Download the most recent BIOS iteration from the ASUS website. Store this to a USB device.
  • Boot to BIOS. Navigate to "Tool," then "EZ Flash."
  • Select the USB device. Select the file. Press 'enter.'
  • You will be prompted one final time before applying the update. Review this and accept.
  • Reboot upon completion.
  • Check the BIOS version again to ensure the update was applied.
  • You will need to re-apply BIOS settings manually.
This link might also help:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012152

Last edited:
Yes, the latest/last BIOS for your particular motherboard is Version 1207, dated 2018/09/28. You need to update to this version, assuming your PC is running an older version of the BIOS. You can use this SPECCY tool to verify the current BIOS version of your system:

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

xsi_c.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.CFDU0nPP_t.png

Last edited:

Gabrielnigme20

Reputable
May 27, 2019
hi, again

so i just installed the new BIOS for the motherboard the version 1207 as you recommended but it unfortently didn't seem to do anything. The GPU is still running 100% utilization on the main menu of the game... (i'm playing "The Forest")

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019
I had the same problem and spent many hours trying loads of different recommended fixes but nothing worked. Then I found at manufacture my 1tb hdd had been partitioned to create a C drive for the OS and a D drive for storage, in other words a virtual second drive with only one physical HDD. 165gb used on C and nothing on the D drive. Windows 7 had the free upgrade to windows 10. The fix that worked immediately was to go to disk management from start menu, delete D drive and expand C drive to max. Then open command prompt as administrator and typed in chkdsk /r /f and hit enter. Then restarted pc and let it do the rest. Did it for me after 3 days of trying fixes. I now have one 1tb C drive. no more 100% disk usage, no more freezing or unresponsive windows 10, chrome or edge. Boot up fine now and working best it has ever done. This will not work on a machine with 2 physical drives.