Gpu usage 30-50%, CPU usage 95-100%, what could the problem be?

wolfeeey

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hello, I have an i5 7500 and a GTX 1080, I know that there will be a bottleneck, but the fps i am getting is very different from the multiple youtube videos I have watched, for example, the average fps on youtube is 180 on overwatch, but I rarely get over 120. Also, my CPU temperature is around 80-100 degrees, is this high? any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Thermal throttling can happen. What I worry about is if it's throttling down to 70C. Going up to 70C is fine. Going past 70C and it throttles down to 70C is bad.

What cooler did you get?

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
80-100 degrees, is this high?
-Short answer - YES.

I would 1st work it out to reduce temps and check gaming again.
If there are no gains after replacing thermal paste and re-seating the cooler, we will search for other stuff.

wolfeeey

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
OK, thanks I was thinking that that was too high. Considering its so high though, the air coming from my pc when I'm playing games doesn't feel hot at all, if my CPU was at 100 degrees Celsius would I be able to feel it?

I agree with all. Your CPU temp is the problem that is causing it to thermal throttle, and the obvious question is "why".

Question: The stock cooler comes with thermal compound already on it. By any chance, did you add additional thermal compound to the bottom of the stock cooler on your own? You should not have, which is why I'm asking.

Request: Could you please list your full specs, including your power supply's manufacturer and model number? And more importantly, could you open you case, take at least two photos of the inside of your entire build, upload the images to imgur and share the link here? I'd like to get an idea of the case airflow. Thanks.

wolfeeey

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
OK, so the pc is not new, I built it in april and everything seemed fine, but I never checked my temps then so IDK. Recently I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1080 from an RX480, and noticed I haven't been getting many more framed, if any, on most games. I downloaded MSI afterburner to check my gpu and cpu usage, and realised they weren't too good, and I also saw the temps.

I didn't add any thermal compound myself but I remember having to take the cooler off and put it back on once time because my PC didn't boot (I was troubleshooting as best I could for a first time builder).

Full specs:

i5 7500
GTX 1080
WD blue 1TB hard drive
a single stick of ddr4 ram, 8GB, can't remember what exactly it was but it was corsair.
msi b250m pro vd motherboard (one of the cheapest I could get)
corsair spec 03 case (only one of the fans is on, the one that brings air in i believe)
corsair RM 550 x modular PSU

Also, I plan on upgrading my cpu to an i7 and getting an aftermarket cooler, should I get a new cooler now and buy the cpu later this month? I will post some images later, admittedly the airflow probably is pretty shit, considering I have only 1 fan on in my case and my wiring isn't the best, but my gpu has normal temps, don't see why my cpu would have such drastically higher temps.

The pictures are needed, however the one fan in your case is telling. Before you upgrade your system any further you MUST either buy a new (quality) case or add an extra quality fan to the existing case. You really have no options until you do that. In the mean time, I recommend that you open the computer case, place it on it's side (so motherboard faces ceiling) and then recheck your CPU and GPU utilization while gaming. I suspect that it'll be closer to normal if you do so.

wolfeeey

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017

The reason i haven't got the 2nd fan on isn't the cases fault (although I do plan on getting a better case), it's my motherboards problem, it only has a single fan connector (I was spending minimal amount when originally building the PC and decided to cheap out on the motherboard (MSI B250M Pro-vd)), is there anything I can buy to utilise the 2nd fan without changing motherboard, because I really don't want to buy a new motherboard right now?

Also I can't get the pictures right now because my phones camera is acting up, sorry, I'l try to use a friends phone tomorrow or the day after

If what 4745454b is saying is true I suspect the problem is probably occurinmg because I took my CPU cooler off and put it back without reapplying any thermal pate, I will buy a new cooler and thermal paste ASAP and post the results when I do. until then will I be fine gaming on my PC or would it be best not to??

wolfeeey

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
OK, I will not game on my PC until I have my new cooler, I just ordered a be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.1 along with some arctic thermal compound, It's quite cheap and has good reviews so hoping for the best, should come tomorrow or this weekend, will say if it's fixed or not

Also, is there anything I can buy to use my 2nd case fan without buying a new motherboard??

wolfeeey

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
OK, I have my new cooler, I didn't install it too well, I had to take it off and put it on again like I did the stock intel one, but now I'm getting around 40C on idle and maximum 70C on full load, which is much better. I am going to start a new build next month, with the same GPU, CPU, PSU and hard drive, but with a better motherboard, memory and case. I will replace my cooler in a much better way next time, It was very hard today because of my relatively small form factor, and I struggled with the fan clips. the new case I am getting has 4 fans I think, and the new mobo I am getting has enough fan headers for 2 or 3 of them.

is 70C still too hot though?