Question GPU usage and FPS drops / short freezes ?

Feb 10, 2022
Hello everyone,
I have had this problem for about 2-3 weeks now and it is extremely frustrating.
I'm going to try to be as detailed as I can explaining my problem, I have read many threads and tried many solutions.

When I play games I frequently get Fps drops and my screen kind of freezes for about half a second or so and my fps drop from 70-80 down to about 10 and then get back to normal. At the moment I play Escape from Tarkov and Apex Legends and this happens in both games. When this happens I can see in the Taskmanager that my GPU usage drops almost to 0 (in Apex from ~90% to ~10/20, in EFT from ~60 to ~10/20). Sometimes when I first turn on my PC I can play 1 or 2 games without any Problem but then it starts acting up again.
I also had HWInfo running and my GPU temp was at a maximum of 70 C and my Cpu temp at a maximum of 65 C, I also checked for +3.3V, +12V and +5V, which were all normal.

Here is a list of all the things that I tried:
  • used DDU to uninstall my Graphics drivers and reinstall the latest versions, also tried it with an earlier version
  • updated BIOS
  • updated Chipset
  • used sfc /scannow to scan for corrupted files (it did find some and repair them but it still didn't get better)
  • turned off High Precision Event Timer
  • disabeld Dynamictick
  • turned off Fullscreen optimization
  • windows power settings turned to performance
  • in Nvidia Control Panel: - set texture filtering quality to high performance
  • set power management mode to prefer maximum performance
  • set NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 as Processor in PhysX settings
  • tried only using to Memory Sticks in Dual Channel
  • (also X.M.P is enabeld)
None of the above heped me with my problem.

Here are my Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 MSI Gaming X Trio
RAM: 4x Crucial Ballistix 8GB 3600MhZ
CPU Cooler: be quiet! pure loop 360mm
PSU: 750w Xilence Performance X XP750 80+ Gold
SSDs: Intel 250Gb (only running Windows 10 Home 64-bit)
Crucial P5 1TB (for everything else)

Internet Connection Speedtest shows 7-12ms Ping, 200-240Mbps Download and 40-60Mbps Upload

I really hope someone might be able to help me it is getting extremly frustrating having to play like this :/
Thanks in advance for anyone that is trying to help.

Ralston18

Titan
Also use Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Look in Reliability History and Event viewer for error codes, warnings and informational events.

Reliability History uses a time line format so look for something that started being logged 2 - 3 weeks ago. Do you see a pattern of increasing errors and varying errors?

Check Update History for any failed or problem updates.

Manually download drivers via the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure accordingly. No DDU or other third party installers or utilities.

PSU: How old? Condition: original, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, mining?

Feb 10, 2022
Thank you for the fast reply, in the reliability history and event viewer there is only one error shown when windows didn't shut down properly (due to a power outage) .

In my Update History everything is shown as successfully installed.

I also did a complete reinstall of Windows after the problems had started, so unfortunately I can only see the history up to 2 weeks ago.

I bought my PSU new in December 2020 (when I build the whole System) and have been using it pretty much daily for gaming and University.

I will try to reinstall the drivers without using DDU and use Resource Monitor to look if I see anything else.

Feb 10, 2022
So I reinstalled drivers without DDU, tested it with default settings and tested different power management settings and different nvidia control panel settings but unfortunately my issue still persists.
I aslo had resource monitor open while playing, but didn't see anything odd.

TRENDING THREADS