[SOLVED] GPU usage drop in modern games, cuts fps in half

Oct 30, 2019
I feel dumb asking this but I can't figure this out at all. I've been having a problem with my computer since around March this year. I got a FX-8350 around Christmas last year and when I play modern games like GTA 5, Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 I'll set the settings to what my PC can handle which is normally High or Ultra in 1080p and I'll usually get around 60 fps the whole time I play. Sometime in March when I'd play one of those games it'll play normally then my GPU usage drops about half of what it was, my CPU usage goes up and my fps is cut in half. I've ran many benchmarks/tests, none of which I saved for some dumb damn reason, and everything came up fine. CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD all fine. I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to figure out why this is happening, any help is much appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8174 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, -1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (485 GB Free); E: 928 GB (21 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M5A78L-M/USB3
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Solution
My temps are normal, never over 70-75C on either. I don't remember the make and model of PSU, I know it's a 750 w. I'll have to open up my case to see the make and model.
70-75C isn't normal, that's 10C+ over throttle temp for this cpu: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-8350.html

There are 2 ways you can properly read AMD FX temps:
-Use AMD Overdrive
-Core Temp, but you must set it to 'read distance to TJ Max', or it'll be inaccurate.

I'd imagine gpu usage is dropping because cpu is overheating, cpu usage is peaking, or maybe both.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My temps are normal, never over 70-75C on either. I don't remember the make and model of PSU, I know it's a 750 w. I'll have to open up my case to see the make and model.
70-75C isn't normal, that's 10C+ over throttle temp for this cpu: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-8350.html

There are 2 ways you can properly read AMD FX temps:
-Use AMD Overdrive
-Core Temp, but you must set it to 'read distance to TJ Max', or it'll be inaccurate.

I'd imagine gpu usage is dropping because cpu is overheating, cpu usage is peaking, or maybe both.

Solution