Question GPU usage drops from 97% to 50% ?

Nov 10, 2021
I recently upgraded my 2080 (which worked perfectly fine) to a 3080ti. While I was playing destiny 2 I noticed I kept getting weird fps drops below 100 for no reason. So I fired up msi afterburner and noticed my gpu usage was fluctuating a lot. At first I thought maybe it was just destiny so I played Stray and got the same problem. I know a common issue for this is a cpu bottleneck or a single stick of ram. But I have a 12900k with 2 16 gigabyte sticks. I checked temps and clock speeds everything looked fine, cpu stayed at around 4.7ghz while I was playing. I changed my power management setting to max performance and I also ran ddu to uninstall old drivers and then I reinstalled them. My system is running a bit hot, cpu at 60-70 degrees under load and gpu at 78-80 degrees. But that should still be under the thermal throttle threshold. I’m stumped does anyone know what could be causing this??

Last edited:
Reactions: Wasaki

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If that happens in every game, that's either a driver issue or hardware issue. If it's only happening in D2, that's a game thing, which isn't uncommon. Ask anyone who played PUBG how many times supposed bug or glitch fixes affected fps.

The 2080 is a decent card. But it has its limits, like DLSS 1.0 and lighting affects etc were only so-so effective because of the ability of the card vs gpu boost algorithms. The 3080ti is well beyond that in ability, and uses DLSS 2.x and much more aggressive lighting affects and gpu boost algorithms as well as power usage. That can change cpu temps as the cpu will work harder, use more resources that it didn't have to with the older card.

A 2080 at ultra settings is not the same picture as the exact same frame on a 3080ti. The bigger card is far more capable at reproducing a much higher detailed, shadowed, lighting mapped frame.

Think of it like driving a stock Honda civic on a race track. You can only drive it so fast and not wreck. Driving is relatively easy there. Same course in a stock Corvette is going to be much faster, but consequently going to require you bring your driving A-game skills. Takes a lot more skill than the slow Honda will. A lot more work too. Same applies to the cpu when paired with a stronger gpu, temps are reciprocal to the work done, as is usage.

Nov 10, 2021
If that happens in every game, that's either a driver issue or hardware issue. If it's only happening in D2, that's a game thing, which isn't uncommon. Ask anyone who played PUBG how many times supposed bug or glitch fixes affected fps.

The 2080 is a decent card. But it has its limits, like DLSS 1.0 and lighting affects etc were only so-so effective because of the ability of the card vs gpu boost algorithms. The 3080ti is well beyond that in ability, and uses DLSS 2.x and much more aggressive lighting affects and gpu boost algorithms as well as power usage. That can change cpu temps as the cpu will work harder, use more resources that it didn't have to with the older card.

A 2080 at ultra settings is not the same picture as the exact same frame on a 3080ti. The bigger card is far more capable at reproducing a much higher detailed, shadowed, lighting mapped frame.

Think of it like driving a stock Honda civic on a race track. You can only drive it so fast and not wreck. Driving is relatively easy there. Same course in a stock Corvette is going to be much faster, but consequently going to require you bring your driving A-game skills. Takes a lot more skill than the slow Honda will. A lot more work too. Same applies to the cpu when paired with a stronger gpu, temps are reciprocal to the work done, as is usage.
Well the gpu usage issue has happened in 3 games but in war zone and apex it stays at 80 and 90% usage. But I feel like I’m not getting the same performance other people are getting and when I watch their benchmarks their gpu stays at 97% usage and doesn’t move.

I know the 3080ti is a beast no doubt, I was just saying I didn’t have usage problems with my 2080, all performance stats matched other peoples systems.