GPU Usage drops resulting in low FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
So I've had this problem for a while now were when I play BF3 after say 10 minutes my GPU usage drops low making my game have extreme lag. It also happens in other games such as Skyrim and Dead Rising 2. My computer is fine at running the games, I get about 60 - 80 FPS on Ultra while playing BF3 but I don't understand why this happens. My temperatures are fine from what I know, my GPU is on 40C and my CPU's on about 45C. I think it may be a PSU problem as from what I've heard my PSU isn't a very good make (HEC Compucase G7 Power Extreme 880W Power Supply) It may be that it's overheating and resulting in not being able to put out the wattage for my Graphics Card, if anyone knows any software where I can monitor my PSU I'll give it a shot.

This is a screen shot of my results on MSI Afterburner displaying my GPU Usage from idle to make use (Playing BF3) These 50% drops in GPU Usage cause major FPS drop dropping it down to about 20FPS.

gwd5tLq.png

LordPonce

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

What card and CPU do you have? You may have a bit of a bottleneck

llkashll

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
There's no program to monitor power from power supplies, it has to be manually via hardware (except for some of the newest psu's) generally a power supply issue will manifest more severely than throttling your video card back.
Like LordPonce said your video card and cpu spec would help since bf3 and skyrim are intensive in that respect and it could well be a bottleneck. If you're with nvidia it could also be that your temperature target is set too low. It could be a powertune problem with AMD but at the low temps you reported i highly doubt that.
Also standard stuff, did you install the latest drivers etc?

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I have a Radeon HD 7850 as my graphics card and an FX 8350 for my processor.

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I have all the latest drivers yes.

LordPonce

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

Maybe it is the power supply, or the gpu driver. Have you updated the gpu driver recently, or tried a different PSU if possible?

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

All my drivers are up to date. I recently updated them to try solve this problem. About a year ago I got a new graphics card for my birthday, my Dad helped install it and all and it worked fine. The 5 days later the power supply blew (not enough wattage) We don't think it damaged any components as they all seem functional so we got a new PSU. We bought a 660w PSU, it's the same brand as the one I currently have in my PC and that blew within an hour of use. So once again we got another one and that worked fine till I started having this problem :(

LordPonce

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

Maybe it doesn't have enough amps for your setup. Getting a good well known brand may help. I'm assuaming your'e in the US, as people seem to be on here, this may be good for you. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I'm from England actually :p
Thanks for the help tho, I finally have something to go on rather than people not giving a solution at all. I found this PSU earlier and said to my Dad about getting it so I'll tell him it's totally worth a shot. Thanks man! :D

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Most can be classed as expensive for example that PSU is only like £68 or so. I'm pretty new to PC's and stuff, I'm only 16 so I get my Dad to help with a lot of the stuff to do with my computer like installing parts and so on. I unfortunately made the wrong choice by buying a custom built PC because my Dad didn't really have the knowledge to build a whole computer. Once again tho dude, thanks a lot for the help I'll be sure to try get a new power supply and see if that works :)

LordPonce

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

I'm only 14, I got an old build from a friend and upgraded from there. All self taught, only got help when replacing a cpu. That PSU is equal to about 80 GBP over here. My 650 Ti was $180 AUD :(

llkashll

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Aus prices are horrendous, if you're in victoria try PC case gear,. They do national shipping as well but there might be a more competitive place to buy from on a national basis that I'm unaware of.

LordPonce

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

I'm in NSW, and I like MSY, they are quite good, but usually use ebay

SKM SHAQ

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
i have the same issue with a FX 8350 with mobo asrock 970 ex3 and with 2 Video cards R9 270 crossfirex, the PSU is corsair cx750m , according to the user´s guide, the PSU supports Quad crossfire . the GPU temp and usage playing BF4 suddenly drops , i used to have a gtx 660 TI and i had the same issue, maybe i need to change some settings but i dont have any idea which settings. thanks in advance for any info.

SKM SHAQ

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
i was playing BF4 today and i got the same issue again around 5-7 times per game then i was checking the tweak and gpu usage was ok but then i realized that i selected the graphic card number two after that i clicked on the card number one and the gpu usage was around 20 %, i dont know what to do. i you have some info about this , i´ll appreciate it.

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I haven't fixed it no. I recently got a new PSU and Graphics card but that didn't solve anything. But I think it's my Motherboard (MS 760GM-P21 FX) throttling the performance of my GPU and CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS