Question GPU Usage drops to 0% and crashes PC

May 30, 2023
Greetings,
I have an issue with my PC, it doesn't happen often but when it happens it's really annoying. I usually stream my games with Steam Remote Play so that way I can play at work in a weak laptop. The streaming is done at 1920x1080, 60 fps, hardware decoding and with NVFBC enabled. This issue happened recently once when I wasn't streaming and it happened two times while streaming, once a day. It also happened in the past before but it has been months since the last "crash". While I wasn't streaming I was able to "use" the pc in a very limited way, I could open some tabs but they get stuck after a few seconds, Task Manager showed 0% GPU Usage during this. The PC cannot be turned off from the start menu or holding the physical button, I need to turn it off by flipping the PSU switch. What I noticed is that the usage dropped to 0 while the PC/Game is idle, like alt tabbed, not while I'm moving the mouse or doing any inputs.

I've been reading about this issue and most of the solutions are related to disabling a certain NZXT software but I don't have any of that. It's driving me crazy 'cause I can't call anyone at home to reset the PC and my shift is over 12 hours so I kinda need some entertainment lol. All my stuff was bought brand new except for the RAM but it also happened with the old RAM so I'm guessing it's not related to it. I also changed the motherboard and CPU but had no changes.

GPU is set to Silent Mode (it also crashed in "Normal Mode" settings in GPU Tweak III, I didn't set any kind of OC in the software). The GPU is "modded" with a copper plate for the VRAM and the termal pads were changed to KriticalPads. I also have pci-e cables from CableMod to connect the GPU.
I don't know what could be the issue but I really hope it's some kind of software related 'cause I paid around 1300$ for the GPU during the pandemic and if I sell it I won't even get like 400$ for it lol.

Bios, drivers and OS are fully updated.

Thanks in advance.

My system:
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600 CL18
  • GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3080 V2 OC
  • CASE: ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601
  • PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 1200W
  • M2: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB

It sounds like you've done everything possible to eliminate any software-based issues. It sounds like there's something wrong with the card itself. I would recommend sending it in to ASUS for an RMA.

Software can't cause power-related issues like interference with the power button. The power button works at the BIOS level so that can't be a software issue.

TRENDING THREADS