Question GPU usage drops to 0% while gaming under specific circumstances ?

SilviteRamirez

Commendable
Jul 16, 2021
I am trying to troubleshoot something that happens specifically when I play Elden Ring (it could be happening in other games, but Elden Ring is locked to 60 fps so it's very noticeable). If I restart my PC, and play Elden Ring first immediately following the restart the game runs smooth for the entire session. 60FPS, maybe drops every once in awhile to 58fps, solid frame timing according to RivaTuner.

However, if I run Elden Ring following running another game (in my instance specifically, Final Fantasy 14) or even after my PC has been otherwise idle for a few hours, my FPS can almost never reach 60 and instead normally fluctuates between 48-58 with noticeable jitters in the game and horrible frame timing (again, according to RivaTuner. I was told frame time should be 16.6, which it is following a restart, but when I have FPS issues it fluctuates between 9ms to 90+ms)

I've done a complete uninstall of my graphics driver with DDU and installed the newest drivers, my BIOS is up to date, Windows is up to date, I've run both MemTest86 and the Windows Memory Test ("mdsched") without any errors. I've tried tinkering with a frankly ridiculous amount of fairly obscure settings, from making Easy Anti Cheat / Steam / Elden Ring run with admin privileges, turning off SSDP Discovery, disabling Root Enumerator in Device Manager... The situation stays the same. In task manager, when I'm encountering these FPS fluctuations I can see my GPU randomly dropping to what appears to be 0% usage every once in awhile but I can't figure out what is causing it. One piece of advice I was given was to try plugging my PC directly into a wall outlet, however I have refrained from doing so as everything I've found on the topic insists on using a surge protector for your PC. I don't really know what other ways I can troubleshoot what is causing my GPU to act up like it is.

My build is an Intel 13900K, a 4090, 64 GB of 5600 RAM on Windows 11. Also FWIW Resizeable BAR is enabled in my BIOS, as well as XMP.

Ultimately if the only way to play Elden Ring with smooth performance is to restart beforehand it's acceptable, but it would be nice to find out what is happening in my system in case it's indicative of failure longterm (especially with how pricey the GPU was...)

Does anybody have any ideas? So far the two pieces of advice I've gotten from other forums is "restarting lets your computer relax so obviously it runs better" and "try plugging your computer directly into an outlet" which I have seen lots of conflicting advice saying you should always plug your PC into a surge protected power source.

Solution
this can cause issues with both hardware and software performance even when using the exact same make/model of RAM.

kits are packaged together based on individual performance and mixing kits can cause latency issues across different components, can cause issues with the rate in which data is read and provided to hardware, and many other problems.
if you wanted 64GB you really should've purchased a single 2x 32GB kit.

i would suggest you try using a single 2x kit installed in DIMM slots #2 & # 4 and see if you notice any improvement.

what sort of range are you seeing for the CPU, GPU, motherboard VRMs, RAM?

also make sure Windows is set to a high performance power profile.
UPDATE : I have potentially resolved this issue by...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

You state using DDU to remove your drivers, did you do so in Safe Mode, removing all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) to later install the latest driver in an elevated command?

SilviteRamirez

Commendable
Jul 16, 2021
Oh sorry.

CPU:Intel i9-13900K
CPU cooler:NZXT Z73 Kraken 360mm
Motherboard:ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO (LGA1700) | | BIOS Version 2102
Ram: 4x 5600 Corsair Dominator
SSD/HDD: 2x WD Black 850x 2TB
GPU: ROG Strix 4090
PSU: ROG Thor Eva 1000W | | Power supply is less than a year old in my machine
Chassis: Corsair 5000D Airflow
Monitor: LG Ultragear 34GN850-B (main monitor) / Zowie BENQ 2546K / AOC G2460

Yes, I didn't know there was another way to use DDU.

SilviteRamirez

Commendable
Jul 16, 2021
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

You state using DDU to remove your drivers, did you do so in Safe Mode, removing all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) to later install the latest driver in an elevated command?
Please if there is other information I need to provide just let me know.

if there is other information I need to provide just let me know
have you reinstalled/rehashed the game from within Steam or whatever provider?

and have you checked the drive where this game is installed for issues?
13900K, a 4090
theoretically this system would have no issue running this particular game with maxed settings at any resolution.
something is definitely holding back performance here.

64 GB of 5600 RAM
is this a single 64GB kit or mixed kits?

SilviteRamirez

Commendable
Jul 16, 2021
have you reinstalled/rehashed the game from within Steam or whatever provider?

and have you checked the drive where this game is installed for issues?

theoretically this system would have no issue running this particular game with maxed settings at any resolution.
something is definitely holding back performance here.

is this a single 64GB kit or mixed kits?
I have tried doing a file check and it validated all files without any missing or corrupted ones. I could try doing a full uninstall/reinstall.

>and have you checked the drive where this game is installed for issues?

According to the proprietary software my drives use they are both in great health, no temperature issues at all. I actually had to move some games to my other drive because I read somewhere you should aim for 20% minimum empty space for the drive to perform properly, but other than that I have no issues. If there's another way I can check please let me know.

>is this a single 64GB kit or mixed kits?

It is two kits of 16x2.

Also some extra information.

View: https://imgur.com/DXzqHzB

This site won't take the image from imgur so I'm posting the link. The left is an example of what the game stats look like when I'm encountering issues, the right is an example of how the game runs immediately following a restart. In Task Manager (not sure how much weight I should put into that) sometimes it shows my GPU drop to 0%, the opposite of a spike I guess. I've tried since changing the NVidia setting for Power Management to "Prefer Maximum Performance" and it appears to delay how long it takes for my game to start malfunctioning based on how long my PC is on, but it didn't actually fix the issue.

It is two kits of 16x2
this can cause issues with both hardware and software performance even when using the exact same make/model of RAM.

kits are packaged together based on individual performance and mixing kits can cause latency issues across different components, can cause issues with the rate in which data is read and provided to hardware, and many other problems.

i would suggest you try using a single 2x kit installed in DIMM slots #2 & # 4 and see if you notice any improvement.
no temperature issues at all
I've tried since changing the NVidia setting for Power Management to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

SilviteRamirez

Commendable
Jul 16, 2021
It was mainly so all 4 slots would be filled with the same RAM for aesthetic purpose, I didn't realize there was enough variance to cause instability between kits that are, at face value, identical. I can try 2 sticks at some point, I will have to check their serials to figure out which two are actually paired.
It's rare for the system to go above 55C for any reason, though I don't go out of my way to stress test via things like FurMark or whatever else there is. According to HWMonitor the CPU peaks around 74C.
It's set to a high performance with the CPU set at 100%.

Again, this is a problem that seems to happen the longer my machine is on, and it's only really quantifiable when I play Elden Ring due to it being locked at 60FPS. If I am experiencing frame loss in other games it's not visually noticeable (games like Valorant, Final Fantasy 14, Apex Legends)

SilviteRamirez

Commendable
Jul 16, 2021

UPDATE : I have potentially resolved this issue by unparking all my CPU cores.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS