Question GPU Usage drops to 0% while gaming

May 31, 2019
I would play a game and I get a lot of stuttering. So I pulled up MSI afterburner to monitor my GPU and CPU usage and I noticed that the GPU usage drops down to zero, freezes/stutters, then goes back again to 100. Also the temps aren't going above 70c.

Specs
i7-2600
Asrock phantom gaming rx 570 8gb
4gb ram at 1333mhz

May 31, 2019
Specs
i7-2600
Asus P8H61-LX
-American Megatrends Inc. 0208, 5/26/2011
Asrock phantom gaming rx 570 8gb
4gb ram at 1333mhz (dual channel)
PSU AeroCool VP Pro 500w

PSU AeroCool VP Pro 500w

That's a very low-end budget PSU from Aerocool, and this brand isn't that much trustworthy when it comes to power supplies either. I wouldn't recommend you to use this power supply with the RX 570. Get some other high quality PSU, even though it might not be the culprit in your case. Though, I still suspect that your current PSU might be creating a problem, and forcing the GPU usage to go down, under load.

Only the " Project 7" models from AEROCOOL are high-end quality units.

Are you gaming on 1080p ? Have you tried changing some power management settings as well ? It can be done via Windows OS, or under NVCP/"Prefer Maximum Performance", or by changing the 'PCI-e Link State Power Management' option, if need be. Which particular game are you playing ?

This issue could also be related to the specific game titles you are trying to play, but I'm NOT fully sure. Are you using Windows 10 OS ? Is CPU CORE parking enabled or disabled ?

Try looking into the POWER Management settings, i.e. Windows OS power plan, as well as the PCI Express setting, under the "Power Options", which is "Link State Power Management" . Is it set to OFF ? What about your NVCP settings ?

Are you using the "Prefer Maximum performance" option, under the Power Management Mode ? Also, I'm assuming the GPU is seated on the primary PCI-e x16 slot of your motherboard ? You could try running a "PCI-Express Render test", via the GPU-Z tool, just to make sure the card is running at it's full potential. Just for an example. Click on the question mark, next to the BUS INTERFACE entry.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ent-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

gpuz.png

Reactions: MrRival

MrRival

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Are you gaming on 1080p ? Have you tried changing some power management settings as well ? It can be done via Windows OS, or under NVCP/"Prefer Maximum Performance", or by changing the 'PCI-e Link State Power Management' option, if need be. Which particular game are you playing ?

This issue could also be related to the specific game titles you are trying to play, but I'm NOT fully sure. Are you using Windows 10 OS ? Is CPU CORE parking enabled or disabled ?

Try looking into the POWER Management settings, i.e. Windows OS power plan, as well as the PCI Express setting, under the "Power Options", which is "Link State Power Management" . Is it set to OFF ? What about your NVCP settings ?

Are you using the "Prefer Maximum performance" option, under the Power Management Mode ? Also, I'm assuming the GPU is seated on the primary PCI-e x16 slot of your motherboard ? You could try running a "PCI-Express Render test", via the GPU-Z tool, just to make sure the card is running at it's full potential. Just for an example. Click on the question mark, next to the BUS INTERFACE entry.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ent-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

gpuz.png
I’m having a similar issue, do you know if this got resolved?