[SOLVED] GPU Usage Drops

Oct 29, 2019
Hi, so I recently upgraded my mid-range gaming pc build, went from a PNY GTX 1050ti OC to a MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z.
Currently in any game I play I get intervals of my gpu usage dropping significantly. Usually from about 70-80% to 30-40%.
Most noticeable on Modern Warfare. FPS dips from 120 down to 30-49. Card sometimes undervolts as well.
Temps for both CPU and GPU are well below 80'C and are usually maxing out at 64'C.
I've reinstalled drivers using DDU, Reseated virtually every component, RAM, GPU etc. Disabled HPET, max performance power options in both windows and Nvidia CTRL panel.
Nothing has worked.

Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
16GB Samsung x Micron memory (8gb even split sam/micron)
Intel DH67CL Mainboard
Windows 10

graph via MSI afterburner:
Usage

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
About the only other thing you may want to try is doing a malware scan of your PC. If some other program is taking up cpu resources while you game, it would be good to get rid of it.
This can find things that tend to get past antivirus programs.

After that, it's a platform upgrade...
Oct 29, 2019
I see a cpu limitation. Everything's fine, up until the point most of your threads crossing the 90% threshold, after which the cpu chokes, resulting in the gpu usage drop.

Before looking into getting a new cpu/motherboard/ram combo, does lowering the in-game graphics settings help?

yeah i’ve tried various different settings, still same outcome. figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
About the only other thing you may want to try is doing a malware scan of your PC. If some other program is taking up cpu resources while you game, it would be good to get rid of it.
This can find things that tend to get past antivirus programs.

After that, it's a platform upgrade...

Solution