Question gpu usage fluctuating in games

Jun 11, 2020
Hi,
I bought the Lenovo legion y540 laptop with 1660ti 6gb, i5 9300h (undervolted 0.135V) , 8gb ram around 3 months ago and until the day before yesterday it was working fine.
Until the day before yesterday, I could run Red Dead Redemption 2 at 40-50 fps on high settings with cpu at 60-70%, 70-85 degrees celcius and gpu at 90-98%, 60-70 degrees (measured using MSI Afterburner). When I launched RDR2 the day before I was getting normal cpu usage and temps but my gpu was fluctuating from 5% to 98% and I was getting drops from 40-50fps to 12fps every couple of seconds.
I then tried other games live GTAV and Just Cause 4 and was getting similar issues. I tried reinstalling the games but this didn't do anything. After this, I used DDU to roll back my nvidia driver from 446.14 to 445.87 but this didn't improve anything either (So I went back to using 446.14) . I also changed some settings in the power options of the control panel and the nvidia control panel to give maximum performance which helped a bit (gpu usage mostly above 60% but still had dips below). Finally, I did some stress tests on my cpu and gpu (intel XTU and superposition 1080p high respecitvely) and these are the results I got.
The gpu was stable at 98% but the cpu usage was fluctuating (the amount of active cores was also changing so I'm not sure if this was a part of the test).
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!
66SltYf.png
qW8lIz9.png

Lutfij

Titan
You're on 1909 for Windows 10, might want to see if you're able to go to version 2004. After manually downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia, install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make sure your laptop's BIOS is also up to date.

Jun 11, 2020
Hi,
Thanks for replying!
I've checked that my BIOS is up to date and that I can't upgrade to version 2004 as my laptop isn't compatible for the time-being.
I've reinstalled 446.14 using administrator and there is a noticable improvement during gaming. However there are still drops every 10 seconds or so. I've noticed that the the cpu usage is also changing with gpu usage and that the clock speed also changes between 3000 and 4000. I'm starting to think that this might be a CPU problem but I don't think it's throttling?