Question GPU usage fluctuations, Fps drops, and texture popping or poor LOD (bad distance draw) ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 17, 2022
Hello,
I got an Rtx 3070(paired with a ryzen 5 2600) for a few weeks now and im experiencing gpu usage fluctuations in almost every games.(Stray, spiderman, rdr2, Sea of thieves...and many more).. it happens every time i look at a certain building or environment that have things to render or process.. for example in Rdr2 all is fine when im running in the wilds but as soon as i get near a town its starts fluctuating(gpu usage) then followed by fps drops.

Another thing is im seeing sheep disappearing and reappearing. Same issue in spiderman, i have to get close to buildings for the texture to process or its just a bland and dull building from a small distance. In sea of thieves all is good in the open water but when i reach an outpost or island, same issue with lots of fps drops. Also i know my ryzen 5 2600 is not fast enough for the 3070 but im playing on 2k or 4k to minimize bottleneck and i can keep usage at 99%.. however i still get these usage drops along with fps drops.

I also tried xmp on my ram to 3000mhz and it didnt solve the issue.. im playing on NVMe ssd. Also tried the same game on Hdd.. same issue. Temps and airflow are fine in my rig: Gpu at 65 - 70, cpu at 50 something i believe... i also tried overcloacking my cpu to 4,1 ghz and the issue still persists. Already uninstalled drivers using Ddu and reinstalling..

Also everything seems to be running fine on benchmarking, like in Uniheaven im having constant 100% usage with 100+ fps in extreme.
My usage and fps is really stable when theres not much going on in the game for example if im in an open area.. it feels really smooth then.

Full PC Specs:
Rtx 3070 aorus master
amd ryzen 5 2600(cooler master as air cooling - hyper 212)
aorus gigabyte b450 m
a silverstone psu 750w 80+ Gold
16 gb ram at 2600mhz speed
1tb nvme m.2 SSD + 2 Tb HDD

Aug 17, 2022
Yes i did try without it.. same result
It shouldn't have a significant impact but just to check, I assume you've tried games without Shadow Play enabled?
Yes i did try without it, same result..
You think Gpu is the Cause and its RMA?

Btw all seem to be running fine on benchmark.. GPU usage only drops when i reach max Fps(144).. Unengine Heaven was running at constant 99-100% GPU usage and 8 - 13% Cpu usage. Scored 2593 on Extreme settings at 1440p.. One last thing, at the end when it gives the numbers .. In GPU model it says: Nvidia Geforce Rtx 3070 31.0.15.1694(4095MB)..... wasnt that supposed to be 7900mb - 8000mb ?

Yes i did try without it, same result..
You think Gpu is the Cause and its RMA?

Btw all seem to be running fine on benchmark.. GPU usage only drops when i reach max Fps(144).. Unengine Heaven was running at constant 99-100% GPU usage and 8 - 13% Cpu usage. Scored 2593 on Extreme settings at 1440p.. One last thing, at the end when it gives the numbers .. In GPU model it says: Nvidia Geforce Rtx 3070 31.0.15.1694(4095MB)..... wasnt that supposed to be 7900mb - 8000mb ?
Unfortunately I would be guessing if I said it was a faulty GPU. That's weird but it might just be software reporting it incorrectly, I would check GPU-Z and Task Manager and see what they say the VRAM is. As you say it should be 8GB.

Aug 17, 2022
Update:
Tested different GPU.. AMD rx590(used ddu) .. Same issue - Stutters(fps drops) and LOD issues
Tested other motherboard
Fresh installed Windows again
remove HDD and only using NVME

Issue still persists..
Remaining Components to be tested - CPU(close to 2 yrs old r5 2600) and PSU(its only 2 months old)