[SOLVED] GPU usage gradually falls from 95% to 50% then shoots back up to 95% and repeats

KevinT919

Prominent
Nov 2, 2020
GPU - GTX 1050 TI
CPU - AMD FX-8370
Motherboard - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Have an SSD and 16GB DDR3 RAM
I am not sure what is causing this, but it makes my fps in Rust slowly fall to around 30 then jump back up to 60 in around 60 second cycles.
CPU usage goes from around 45-50% to around 38% before going back up with the GPU usage.
  • Used to have a small overclock on CPU but removed it and hasn't changed anything
  • Reset BIOS settings to optimized Default.
  • Re-installed Nvidia Drivers after using DDU.
  • Tried Underclocking CPU and didn't change anything.
  • Made sure Windows was up to date.

If you need any extra information I will happily provide it and any help or advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Image of my GPU usage:

unknown.png

Solution

I think I found the problem, these upps and downs correlate with the gpu usage, do you have any clue how I would fix it
I honestly have no clue how to fix these, never had this problem with my gpu.
I would try to undervolt my gpu though, this also helped one guy with his gpu problem, his gpu had low usage and undervolting, fixed his problem.
Be aware, undervolting is not harmful for your gpu, you should run some benchmarks first, try and run unigine Valley, and let it run for 15 minutes, and check your statistics with msi afterburner.

KevinT919

Prominent
Nov 2, 2020
It doesn't persist in other games. CSGO has a constant 93% GPU usage but im not sure if thats because its a far less demanding game. I should also mention that the problem persists in Rust no matter how high or low my settings are in the game

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
It doesn't persist in other games. CSGO has a constant 93% GPU usage but im not sure if thats because its a far less demanding game. I should also mention that the problem persists in Rust no matter how high or low my settings are in the game
Hmm, have you tried more gpu demanding titles, maybe Rust is the problem, maybe the game has some sort of a bug or something.

KevinT919

Prominent
Nov 2, 2020
Thanks for the fast replies,
CPU temp never goes above 40, GPU temp is around 65. None of my friends have any problems with rust so I don't think its the issue, but I have just noticed now
and I am not sure if this is relevant, but as my framerate falls in game my ms in game also rises also rises slowly to around 30 then falls back again as the framerate goes back to normal.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Thanks for the fast replies,
CPU temp never goes above 40, GPU temp is around 65. None of my friends have any problems with rust so I don't think its the issue, but I have just noticed now
and I am not sure if this is relevant, but as my framerate falls in game my ms in game also rises also rises slowly to around 30 then falls back again as the framerate goes back to normal.
GPU ans CPU temps are very good, it's a weird issue, are you running the latest GPU bios by any chance?

KevinT919

Prominent
Nov 2, 2020
Quick question sorry, was updating my GPU bios but the last step is to enter command nvflash with the name of your bios, where do you find the filename of your bios?

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Quick question sorry, was updating my GPU bios but the last step is to enter command nvflash with the name of your bios, where do you find the filename of your bios?
Never encountered this, when I updated my gpu bios I just had a simple quick setup, nothing too complicated. Download gpu z, and you will find your current bios there.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022

I think I found the problem, these upps and downs correlate with the gpu usage, do you have any clue how I would fix it
I honestly have no clue how to fix these, never had this problem with my gpu.
I would try to undervolt my gpu though, this also helped one guy with his gpu problem, his gpu had low usage and undervolting, fixed his problem.
Be aware, undervolting is not harmful for your gpu, you should run some benchmarks first, try and run unigine Valley, and let it run for 15 minutes, and check your statistics with msi afterburner.

Reactions: KevinT919
Solution
GPU - GTX 1050 TI
CPU - AMD FX-8370
Motherboard - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Have an SSD and 16GB DDR3 RAM
I am not sure what is causing this, but it makes my fps in Rust slowly fall to around 30 then jump back up to 60 in around 60 second cycles.
CPU usage goes from around 45-50% to around 38% before going back up with the GPU usage.
  • Used to have a small overclock on CPU but removed it and hasn't changed anything
  • Reset BIOS settings to optimized Default.
  • Re-installed Nvidia Drivers after using DDU.
  • Tried Underclocking CPU and didn't change anything.
  • Made sure Windows was up to date.
If you need any extra information I will happily provide it and any help or advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Image of my GPU usage:

unknown.png
Sounds like a CPU bottleneck to me. I believe Rust is pretty useless at leveraging multiple cores and relies heavily on single threaded performance. Unfortunately the latter is a weakness of the FX series. If that is your problem then only a CPU upgrade will solve it.

KevinT919

Prominent
Nov 2, 2020
Hey sorry for the delayed response. You were right GhostWPT, I undervolted my GPU and the issue was fixed, Thank you very much :)
Im not sure how to mark this as solved