[SOLVED] Gpu usage in regards to ram,

Sep 7, 2021
Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me out on two issues. Firstly i should state my specs, I have an acer nitro 5 an 515-55 2020 with an i7-10750h and a gtx 1660ti alongside 1*16gb of ram. Firstly my cpu temps have suddenly overnight transformed into my worst nightmare hovering around 80-92 degrees when gaming. This did not come as a shock as in the past i have had this issue but it quickly resolved itself, however in this instance amidst immense frustration, I tried multiple methods all to no avail. These temps are with, between 60-80% utilization across all cores. My other question is to do with gpu usage, it would seem absurd that my i7-10750 6 cores running at 4.2ghz under load would bottleneck my gpu to create 40% gpu usage in a game such as Fortnite, which I try to tun as smooth as possible as i play competitive. My question is whether purchasing another 16gb of the same clockspeed ram would alleviate my gpu usage issue and in the process reduce the cpu load. Whilst I am aware that 32gb of ram is overkill i am only considering it due to the factor that my ram is single channel. If anyone has any ideas or comments please let me know as it is greatly appreciated.

Solution
If your RAM usage is below the 16GB you have, it will not help your issue. Dual Channel is faster, and recommended, but would not be the solution to the issues you have. If you are consistently using 12GB RAM or more, then it might be worth considering an upgrade, but I would not call it needed unless your average usage is above 14GB, or it hits an obvious peak at 16GB, where it wants to use more than it has.

Some games, I do not know about Fortnite specifically, use a limited amount of resources. Some games are CPU limited, others GPU. Look at your usage and temps in multiple games to determine if you have an actual issue with the laptop, or it is just one game. It may also help if you turn some settings up. If you are worried about...
If your RAM usage is below the 16GB you have, it will not help your issue. Dual Channel is faster, and recommended, but would not be the solution to the issues you have. If you are consistently using 12GB RAM or more, then it might be worth considering an upgrade, but I would not call it needed unless your average usage is above 14GB, or it hits an obvious peak at 16GB, where it wants to use more than it has.

Some games, I do not know about Fortnite specifically, use a limited amount of resources. Some games are CPU limited, others GPU. Look at your usage and temps in multiple games to determine if you have an actual issue with the laptop, or it is just one game. It may also help if you turn some settings up. If you are worried about low usage, then demanding the GPU work harder, might just make it work harder. It is possible that at the competitive settings you use, the GPU is not needed at full capacity. It is rarely the case that lowering graphics quality leads to a direct increase in FPS. FPS improvements may not equal the quality lost. Lower quality can/will help your FPS, but you may only go from 70 to 75 FPS by turning the settings from High to Low. This depends on the game, of course. I have personally had games run at low usage, and low-ish FPS, around 50, and I was worried I had a problem. It ended up just being how the game was built, and if I turned the settings from Low/Med to High, I gained a lot of graphics quality, my GPU usage went from 40% to 70%, and I did not loose a meaningful amount of FPS.

Solution
Sep 7, 2021
I see what u mean however a mate of mine has a laptop with all the specs the same accept for a 2060 and 16gb duel channel and he gets significantly lower cpu usage and higher gpu usage, i was also interested that both using ddu to go to driver 451.67 and turning off hardware accelerated gpu scheduling helped my gpu usage resulting in higher fps . So i was wondering if there were another ways, a few people who i know who have built there own pc's and are knowledgeable in the field say that for fortnite especially duel channel ram is paramount that's why i was curious tysm for the quick response an help, i greatly appreciate it.