GPU usage is low in a few games

Jul 13, 2018
I have ok gpu usage in r6 siege 80-95% and like 90%cpu usage because *cough* optimised game. But, the fps is OK. I get 30-50% GPU usage in CSGO and in gta5 like 50%. In fortnite, usually getting 95-99% and when I look at cities, like tilted towers I get 50%! Any fixes for this???

Solution
Much more important than CPU usage and GPU usage is the frame rates. There is no point in obsessing over CPU/GPU usage when the frame rates are within the typical range for the hardware used.

Sub-100% usage while frame rates are typical simply means that the combination of hardware, drivers, APIs, game, etc. can't max out the hardware combination due to various overheads or simply not being written in such a way that it can leverage everything at once.

InvalidError

Titan
Usually, this means that your GPU is being bottlenecked by the CPU - you cannot achieve higher GPU utilization than what the GPU needs to keep up with the CPU.

Games like CSGO are pretty light on graphics, so you need a fast CPU to push sufficiently ridiculous overkill frame rates to burden modern GPUs. GTAV on the other hand is so poorly optimized that you need a relatively overkill CPU just to get it to work right. The balance between CPU and GPU varies wildly between titles, even more if you play around with graphical options.

Jul 13, 2018

I have a gtx 1050ti and an i7 7700hq.. so thats the problem?

Jul 13, 2018
What's your cpu usage usually like?

In gta5, about 40-60% and in csgo its about 20% (gpu runs at 30-40% so something is wrong with csgo for me). Fortnite- 40-60%

InvalidError

Titan
Much more important than CPU usage and GPU usage is the frame rates. There is no point in obsessing over CPU/GPU usage when the frame rates are within the typical range for the hardware used.

Sub-100% usage while frame rates are typical simply means that the combination of hardware, drivers, APIs, game, etc. can't max out the hardware combination due to various overheads or simply not being written in such a way that it can leverage everything at once.

Solution