Question GPU usage low and D3D device lost ?

Mar 7, 2024
My RTX 2070 has super low usage (0-5%) on several new games I have. Additionally a lot of them crash with the Error message:

" Lowlevel Fatal Error: Unreal Engine exiting due to D3D device being lost. 0x887A0006 "

Sometimes it is followed by (Lost Connection) or (HUNG), depending on the game.

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI MS-7B98
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1.E0
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 cores
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070
RAM: 32 GB

The games I play should easily run on max settings, but instead I am unable to play anything for long. Some games crash immediately on startup, others run for hours only to then crash every 5 minutes.

I have tried a few things:

Are the games using integrated GPU instead of the dedicated? No. They are not.
GPU drivers up to date? Yes. DDU and clean install. Also tried older versions.
Is GeforceExperience manhandling things behind the scene? No. Deinstalled it to no effect.
Windows up to date? Yes, tried a reset + driver reinstall and problem persisted.
Is it DX 12 thats once again causing problems? Reinstalled and updated my own DirectX and it happens with games even after I set them to DX 11.
Anything overclocking the GPU? No. Tried Debug mode and monitoring programs. All for naught so far.
Is the monitor plugged into the correct GPU? Yes. Yes it is.

Also tried a few suggestions I found in other threads such as limiting myself to 60 fps in the Registry Editor, underclocking my GPU with MSI Afterburner and only playing in windowed mode.

I would be super happy about any assitance!

My RTX 2070 has super low usage (0-5%) on several new games I have. Additionally a lot of them crash with the Error message:

Lowlevel Fatal Error: Unreal Engine exiting due to D3D device being lost. 0x887A0006

Sometimes it is followed by (Lost Connection) or (HUNG), depending on the game.

My setup is as follows:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5.9600K CPU 3.70 GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 cores
Ram: 32 GB
System: MS-7B98 (Motherboard by MSI)
Type: x64 based
Bios: American Megatrends Inc. 1.E0
And as mentioned GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

The games I play should easily run on max settings, but instead I am unable to play anything for long. Some games crash immediately on startup, others run for hours only to then crash every 5 minutes.

I have tried a few things:

Are the games using integrated GPU instead of the dedicated? No. They are not.
GPU drivers up to date? Yes. DDU and clean install. Also tried older versions.
Is GeforceExperience manhandling things behind the scene? No. Deinstalled it to no effect.
Windows up to date? Yes, tried a reset + driver reinstall and problem persisted.
Is it DX 12 thats once again causing problems? Reinstalled and updated my own DirectX and it happens with games even after I set them to DX 11.
Anything overclocking the GPU? No. Tried Debug mode and monitoring programs. All for naught so far.
Is the monitor plugged into the correct GPU? Yes. Yes it is.

Also tried a few suggestions I found in other threads such as limiting myself to 60 fps in the Registry Editor, underclocking my GPU with MSI Afterburner and only playing in windowed mode.

I would be super happy about any assitance!
Try taking the GPU out of the equation.
Load up a Prime95 stress test (it's free). Turn off all AVX in the options window. Run a blended test. See if it survives 15 mins.

Mar 7, 2024
Hit start, type 'memory' and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Have you monitored the temps of the RTX 2070? Do you have a spare GPU you could test with? See if the free 3DMark Time Spy crashes too.
First of all, thank you all for responding so quickly and offering me assitance!

The Memory Diagnostic found nothing unusual.

Temperaturewise it never exceeded 54° C while I tried the games which crashed.

For the 3DMark Time Spy I was only able to find a demo version for free. It stops working after finishing the loading on Graphic Test 1. By which I mean the entire program freezes up and stops responding. I ended the task after giving it 5 minutes to respond. Results displayed a score of 0. Second attempt it froze before the graphics test even started. Surprisingly the sound kept running though.

Do the GPU fans spin up when you try to game/benchmark? Did you ensure proper connection of the aux power connectors on the GPU. Note that with some PSUs that have removable GPU cables, the cables can only go one way. Be sure the end labeled 'GPU' is attached to the GPU.

If all the above is good, it's time to test that GPU in another system or test another GPU in this system.

Mar 7, 2024
Do the GPU fans spin up when you try to game/benchmark? Did you ensure proper connection of the aux power connectors on the GPU. Note that with some PSUs that have removable GPU cables, the cables can only go one way. Be sure the end labeled 'GPU' is attached to the GPU.

If all the above is good, it's time to test that GPU in another system or test another GPU in this system.
The GPU fans spin during pc booting up, but not during the games. Correction: For games that manage to run for a while before they crash, the fans do spin.

I do hope the cables are done correctly, as I paid extra money to have a professional take care of them. I have not been able to find a lose cable or any other obvious flaw.

Unfrotunately I dont have another GPU or system at hand to test.

Last edited:
The GPU fans spin during pc booting up, but not during the games. Correction: For games that manage to run for a while before they crash, the fans do spin.

I do hope the cables are done correctly, as I paid extra money to have a professional take care of them. I have not been able to find a lose cable or any other obvious flaw.

Unfrotunately I dont have another GPU or system at hand to test.
Maybe reach out to the person who built it and see if they can take a look(?)

Mar 7, 2024
Heyho! GPU tested in two other systems with hour long stress tests revealed the gpu to be fine. I also replaced my PSU and redid all the cables.

I replaced the RM1000x with an RM1000e (because it was on sale and I am cheap). Is there a chance for my RTX 2070 to just be incompatible with my PSU?

The error persists. Anymore ideas?

Last edited: