GPU Usage not hitting 99% in games.

Zangeki

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
My specs;

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.4ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
16GB of RAM

Tested with MSI Afterburner. Getting around 50-60% GPU usage on Dishonored 2 and The Witcher 3 whilst the CPU usage is around 50%. I'm running a 1080p resolution and I'm not currently able to get a better monitor. Am I being bottlenecked and is there a work around other than getting a larger screen?

I have been feeling like my GPU has been under performing since I upgraded to a 1080 from a 980 and I think this might be the cause.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit:

I have tried using Nvidia DSR to upscale my resolution to 1440p and even then, while the GPU usage does go up, it only goes up from 50% to around 70% still not reaching 99%.

Reactions: Azmain Iqtidar
Solution

Whoever told you that is wrong. If it's running at 50-60% usage, then that means that the game and the programs are taking as much resources as they need and you just have extra. You can't force a game to use 100% GPU usage, and even if you did it wouldn't make even a little bit of difference. You're limited mostly by your monitor, and maybe partially from a super-efficient game engine (Witcher 3's is pretty damn good).

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Games will only use what it needs from a GPU. A 1080 is WAY, WAY overkill for 1080p and I wouldn't expect any game to send it to 100% usage. It's not surprising that it's only using 50-60% of the GPU. You should still be getting better or at least the same performance as your 980 and if not then there might be a separate issue.

Only way to make it run with more usage is to turn the settings up as high as they will go. That's about it.

EDIT: Uncapping your FPS will make your GPU run faster since it's basically an order to push out as much frames as possible. But it could cause screen tearing.

Bottleneck happens when one of the components hits 100% usage. Not your case.
If running 1080p resolution, you can't really expect more usage on your GPU - you would need higher resolution to put it to real work. This card is simply overkill for 1080p.

Zangeki

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
Someone told me that my card should be on 99% utilisation at all times. Seeing as it's mostly on around 50%-60% doesn't that means it's not using all of its resources thus causing bad or lower performance on some games?

Someone told you bull..t, with all respect for that person.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017

Whoever told you that is wrong. If it's running at 50-60% usage, then that means that the game and the programs are taking as much resources as they need and you just have extra. You can't force a game to use 100% GPU usage, and even if you did it wouldn't make even a little bit of difference. You're limited mostly by your monitor, and maybe partially from a super-efficient game engine (Witcher 3's is pretty damn good).

Solution

rgd1101

Don't

they are wrong.

Zangeki

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
Oh, that's a relief to hear.
I was getting worried that not hitting 99% was a problem with the GPU not using all of its resources and that it was hindering its maximum potential. I still need to upgrade to a better monitor no doubt, but at least I don't think I'll have to do it immediately now. Just been misled with incorrect information it seems.

Thank you for the answers, my mind's at ease now knowing that nothing's wrong with the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS