Question GPU usage randomly high

stp1104

Prominent
May 1, 2020
I recently reinstalled windows after having some issues with the OS, but this reinstall somehow messed up my GPU in some way. Whenever I play any somewhat graphically intensive game that used to only use like 50% or less of my GPU pre-reinstall, it now uses up to 100% and the fans start running at full speed. None of my settings are out of the ordinary and I'm running the latest drivers, and I've even tried reverting to old drivers, but nothing seems to fix it. I've even scanned using MalwareBytes to make sure there was no virus using my GPU to mine or anything like that, but the scan came up with nothing. I've looked up everything but I can't find anything useful and I'm honestly at a loss now. I have a GTX 1660 SC.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are you running v-sync? My guess was you were before and aren't now, so the GPU is putting out as many frames as possible instead of matching your monitor's refresh rate.

100% GPU usage means it is running as fast as it can, not necessarily a bad thing.

stp1104

Prominent
May 1, 2020
Are you running v-sync? My guess was you were before and aren't now, so the GPU is putting out as many frames as possible instead of matching your monitor's refresh rate.

100% GPU usage means it is running as fast as it can, not necessarily a bad thing.
I usually had v-sync off before so I instinctively turned it off like I would normally do, though leaving it on seemed to help, and it's not that big of a deal so I guess I'll keep it on from now on. Also, I know 100% usage isn't really a bad thing, though my temps were high and this wasn't normal so I knew I should probably find a solution. Thank you, though! This solution is kind of a no brainer but it never really crossed my mind lol.