Question GPU Usage randomly spikes to 100 under load then crashes

TaketaD

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Normally my GPU usage just fluctuates between 30-50% as I'd expect, but occasionally it jumps to 100% for no apparent reason and then crashes. I'm not even sure if "crash" is the right word - graphics freeze momentarily, games will sometimes crash, and the AMD Issue tool pops up. Checking Adrenalin I see that both Utilization and Clock Speed spike to 100% whenever it occurs. This has never happened while idling or otherwise not under load, and is not specific to any one game or program.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to recreate it reliably, so it's difficult for me to gather information.

This entire build and all parts (except storage) are brand new, less than a month old.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

AMD Adrenalin 23.5.2
BIOS Version F9a

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS Version F9a
See if you can flash to the latter revision, F10a.

Also, if you want to rule out the GPU drivers being an issue, you can use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from the platform and then manually reinstall the latest drivers sourced off of AMD's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for your PSU, what did it power prior to the RX 7900XTX, (if the PSU has been in service for a while) ?

May 29, 2023
From what you've described, it seems like a GPU-related issue.

Since your build and parts are brand new, it's important to check for any potential driver or software conflicts. Make sure you have the latest GPU drivers installed and consider performing a clean installation to ensure a fresh start.

Additionally, keep an eye on your GPU temperatures. High temperatures can cause instability and crashes. Make sure your GPU is properly cooled, and consider monitoring the temperatures using software like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z.

TaketaD

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
BIOS Version F9a
See if you can flash to the latter revision, F10a.

Also, if you want to rule out the GPU drivers being an issue, you can use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from the platform and then manually reinstall the latest drivers sourced off of AMD's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for your PSU, what did it power prior to the RX 7900XTX, (if the PSU has been in service for a while) ?
Thank you. I've updated the BIOS (I can't believe a new version was released days after I originally flashed it).

When you say to manually reinstall drivers, how exactly do I do that? The only drivers I can find on AMD's site are Adrenalin and the Autodetect. Are those fine to use?

The PSU is also brand new.

TaketaD

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Occurred again while cycling through video wallpapers in Wallpaper Engine. GPU1 Core Clock spiked to 100, GPU Usage jumped from ~25 to ~60.

Only thing I've changed so far is the BIOS update.

BAIXPff.png

I_Got_Crabs

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
I suggest removing the PC cover and placing a normal room fan, on high, blowing on the inside. Then test to see if it takes longer before the spike occurs. If so, look at cooling issues. The minimum power supply recommendation for your graphics card is 800 watts. If your case is also using LED lighting or extra energy-consuming devices then suspect a power related issue. I have a question about your power supply. I've wondered about the motherboard power connectors. On my board, the two 8-pin sockets use all 8 pins. A normal PCIe cable only uses 7 pins. On the new PCIe power supplies, there are CPU connectors using all 8 pins. I wonder if that would make some difference -- sorry, I'm not an electronics expert only an enthusiast.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS