GPU usage spike to 100% and FPS drop significantly

Apr 26, 2018
Greetings,

Recently I'm facing a poor performance from my GPU (graphic processing unit) during gaming and benchmarking (3DMark). During gaming, I notice a spike and lags while FPS dropped to below 30 (for DotA2) from 110-120. I turned to Windows Task Manager and realize that these lags happens whenever the GPU Usage spike to 100% and sometime cause the game to stuck where i need to terminate the application. CPU and RAM usage maintain below 40%. GPU temperature runs below 74 degree celcius.

I tried benchmarking using 3DMark and the GPU only run with 14 FPS overall for all tests with some lags during testing.

This happened right after I changed my CPU+MOBO from 5820k+x99 to 6700k+z170. The rest of hardware is remain the same.

My current setup:
i7 6700k
z170i Pro Gaming
16GB DDR4 2133MHz
1TB SSD
GTX TITAN 6GB
CoolerMaster v1000
Windows 10 64bit

Things that I have done:
-scan for malware
-formatted & reinstall Windows (2 times)
-uninstall & reinstall driver
-update BIOS
-stress test using Prime95
-checked PSU connection and other related cables (yes HDMI plugged to GPU instead Intel graphic)
-tested GPU on other system (2500k setup); runs perfectly as 3DMark reach 113 FPS for same test
-using other RAM (8GB 2133MHz) no difference
-power options is on high performance

HELP ME PLEASE...

Solution
1. download HWINFO, run it in sensor mode, and look at GPU Temperature and Fan Speeds,
2. likely your overheating, and may have to take video card appart and reapply heat paste between heatsink and gpu