[SOLVED] GPU Usage spikes/drops to 0 Often

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
A lot of the time when I'm playing any game like GTA V or PUBG, my fps will drop below 20 or the game will just completely freeze and all audio will cut out for about 3 seconds. When this happens I've realized that my GPU usage is always at or below 20% but then it spikes back up to about 85-95% and then the game runs fine again. this happens quite often and can make some games unplayable. I've ran a RAM Diagnostic and there was no error at all and all my drivers and everything are up to date so i dont know what the problem could be, ive also tried emptying standby processes as well and the problem still occurs.

System Specs -
i5 3470
GTX 1050ti low profile edition
4 sticks of 2 gb ddr3 1067 mhz ram (8gb total)
Not sure what the motherboard is considering it was a basic one that came with the prebuilt system (HP Compaq Pro 6300)
300 watt PSU

Solution
I think you have a power issue with the GPU. You graphics card is a low profile edition which means that it is drawing its power from the PCIe x16 slot. From your systems specifications:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03387773

PCI Express x16 (3.0 - Primary):
1 each
2.5 in low profile
6.6 in length
25 W maximum power

If the PCIe x16 slot is only supplying a maximum of 25 W, then this is not enough power for the GTX 1050 TI (75 W). Unfortunately, I cannot think of a solution to your problem since your system has limited upgrade paths.
I think you have a power issue with the GPU. You graphics card is a low profile edition which means that it is drawing its power from the PCIe x16 slot. From your systems specifications:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03387773

PCI Express x16 (3.0 - Primary):
1 each
2.5 in low profile
6.6 in length
25 W maximum power

If the PCIe x16 slot is only supplying a maximum of 25 W, then this is not enough power for the GTX 1050 TI (75 W). Unfortunately, I cannot think of a solution to your problem since your system has limited upgrade paths.

Reactions: manlol
Solution