[SOLVED] GPU usage spikes to 100% when going afk

Aug 1, 2021
When I leave my pc idle, sometimes my display freezes and I cant click on anything. I can only open the taskmanager and see that the GPU usage has spiked to 100%. Only hard reset works.
I have a prebuilt so I am not quite sure what motherboard I have but here are all of the specs I could find.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060
16GB ddr4 ram
550w PSU
1TB ssd
Windows 10

Solution
The next time it does this, use the processes tab on Task Manager to see what exactly is using up the GPU. You can also enable another field called GPU Engine (might be there on default) which will give some info.

I had an issue a while back where Chrome was absolutely eating me up on background GPU usage. I had to both go and disable it as a background process (keep Chrome running in the background selection) as well as turn off hardware acceleration. A later update to Chrome and the issue resolved itself where I was able to turn those things back on (as desired).
I am not sure that is your culprit but the above info to look for in Task Manager should give you a better clue as to what and where to look.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The next time it does this, use the processes tab on Task Manager to see what exactly is using up the GPU. You can also enable another field called GPU Engine (might be there on default) which will give some info.

I had an issue a while back where Chrome was absolutely eating me up on background GPU usage. I had to both go and disable it as a background process (keep Chrome running in the background selection) as well as turn off hardware acceleration. A later update to Chrome and the issue resolved itself where I was able to turn those things back on (as desired).
I am not sure that is your culprit but the above info to look for in Task Manager should give you a better clue as to what and where to look.

Solution
Aug 1, 2021

Thank you so much for the advice. I just got another freeze a couple minutes ago and did what you said. I found out that dwm.exe was using 100% and steamwebhelper was also using a lot of my gpu.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Where I find it unusual about dwn...I will come around to that.

On steamwebhelper, you might want to check here:
steamwebhelper.exe Windows process - What is it? (file.net)

Just to be sure, check other links and info on steamwebhelper before following the advice of just one page. See if there is a commonality among information elsewhere. That site indicates it may be a plug in you enabled while installing a specific set of listed games.

dwm is the Windows desktop manager. It's high usage could be related to the above, it could be related to a theme you have installed, etc. It has a lot to do with the effects and such you see on desktop such as windows being slightly transparent, shadows, and on. Us oldies immediately think of Aero, lol...but anyway, your GPU is FAR more than capable of running standard Windows desktop features.

I would look into uninstalling the web helper thingy unless it's something you are aware of or utilize. Would likely consider a static background if you aren't already on one, and likely a really good AV scan.
IMO, if this is a prebuilt and you never did a clean Windows install, there is any manner of possible factory installed bloatware adding to the problem.

Aug 1, 2021
Where I find it unusual about dwn...I will come around to that.

On steamwebhelper, you might want to check here:
steamwebhelper.exe Windows process - What is it? (file.net)

Just to be sure, check other links and info on steamwebhelper before following the advice of just one page. See if there is a commonality among information elsewhere. That site indicates it may be a plug in you enabled while installing a specific set of listed games.

dwm is the Windows desktop manager. It's high usage could be related to the above, it could be related to a theme you have installed, etc. It has a lot to do with the effects and such you see on desktop such as windows being slightly transparent, shadows, and on. Us oldies immediately think of Aero, lol...but anyway, your GPU is FAR more than capable of running standard Windows desktop features.

I would look into uninstalling the web helper thingy unless it's something you are aware of or utilize. Would likely consider a static background if you aren't already on one, and likely a really good AV scan.
IMO, if this is a prebuilt and you never did a clean Windows install, there is any manner of possible factory installed bloatware adding to the problem.
Thank you so much for the help. I am pretty sure getting a static background helped with the dwm.exe situation. I will not delete the steamwebhelper yet unless the problem continues. I really appreciate the help.