EduardoG357

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
Hi, so I have an RX580 4gb and I think it might be using to little watts. I've seen videos online of other Rx580s using around 150W while mine only goes to as far as like 90W sometimes. In MSI Afterburner, it only lets me go up 50% power usage while people can go up to 125% which is what the problem might be and I think I can suck out some extra juice out of my GPU. The problem is it's locked at 50% so I can't push it anymore so I wanted to know if 70-90W is normal for an RX580 and if not how to unlock power usage to push it even further. Any help is appreciated.

System:
MSI B360M Bazooka
i5 8400
MSI RX580 4GB
2x4 GB RAM
650W Power Supply

Solution
I get like 90-100% GPU usage and around 60% CPU usage. Also, this is my MSI Afterburner and is the power usage okay since it won't let me go up more?

View: https://imgur.com/a/aEO7nAA

I would say you are okay given the benchmarks link I sent you.

Not every game will hit max power. It depends on what circuits are utilized or if there other bottlenecks in the system (texture swap out, CPU bottlenecks, memory bandwidth limitations, etc...)

That's also a +50. Meaning 150% design power limit. These kind of power burst are typically very limited before throttle back occurs.
There could be a number of reasons for this. It could also largely depend on the game and if you have cool n quiet running.

For example, if your monitor is locked at 60fps, and you're running something like CS:GO with cool-n-quiet on, then the GPU is just going to sit there and not run at it's full speed because it won't be rendering frames it's not going to display.

How are you getting your GPU power usage? I would look at GPU-z or Radeon Wattman to determine what your GPU usage is like.

EduardoG357

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
There could be a number of reasons for this. It could also largely depend on the game and if you have cool n quiet running.

For example, if your monitor is locked at 60fps, and you're running something like CS:GO with cool-n-quiet on, then the GPU is just going to sit there and not run at it's full speed because it won't be rendering frames it's not going to display.

How are you getting your GPU power usage? I would look at GPU-z or Radeon Wattman to determine what your GPU usage is like.
I mostly play Destiny 2 and my monitor is locked at 144fps and I usually get 50-80- fps. I'm getting my power usage from Radeon Software overlay.

I mostly play Destiny 2 and my monitor is locked at 144fps and I usually get 50-80- fps. I'm getting my power usage from Radeon Software overlay.

You're running where you are about where you should be. See link below. Also you are running 4GB . This is Likely the infamous 2048 SP version which is much closer to a 570 than a true RX580

destiny2 system Requirements and FPS Benchmarks

Last edited:
I get like 90-100% GPU usage and around 60% CPU usage. Also, this is my MSI Afterburner and is the power usage okay since it won't let me go up more?

View: https://imgur.com/a/aEO7nAA

I would say you are okay given the benchmarks link I sent you.

Not every game will hit max power. It depends on what circuits are utilized or if there other bottlenecks in the system (texture swap out, CPU bottlenecks, memory bandwidth limitations, etc...)

That's also a +50. Meaning 150% design power limit. These kind of power burst are typically very limited before throttle back occurs.

Solution