Question GPU utilisation not even reaching 60%

Dec 3, 2023
Really confused and I'm here to seek advice. My specs are as follows :
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
16 GB Corsair DDR ram
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
I only run discord in the background and the only games i acheive DECENT FPS is rocket League and CSGO.
In RL I hit my monitors refresh rate of 144 CS about 100
But my computer is more than capable of giving me 144FPS in every game. In Hogwarts legacy and MW2 (2023) I am getting about 60 frames if I'm lucky - at times 40 to 50.
(This is with every single setting turned low or off) and Nvidia settings turned low also
My CPU is running at a temp of 95 and today just hit 105 - My friend seems to think that I need to give it a new thermal paste and potentially a new cooler and to check everything over.
But I'm not convinced. I'm on the verge of buying a full new computer.
If it was an overheating issue why would my GPU not be being utilised ?
Has anyone experienced this or have an idea what it could be ?

Dec 3, 2023
Those temps are high. Definitely get those under control. What cooler are you using?

Also, I don't think you should expect 144fps in every game with a Ryzen 7 3700X. That CPU is nearly 5 years old now.
Thankyou for the response ! I'm going to get some thermal and re seat the fan - I'm using an AMD air cooler not sure which model TBF. Im going to replace that also with a Corsair water cooler one with the fans that sit at the top. I just worry if it's not a cooling issue then maybe it's a brand new PC issue. Lol.

What CPU should I replace with ? Without bottlenecking that GPU ?
You can easily upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5700X, 5800X, or 5800X3D with a motherboard BIOS update. Or, you can plan a whole new build. Obviously, the CPU upgrade would be more cost effective. If it were me, I would consider the 5700X for its cost effectiveness and a better air cooler like the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)

Dec 3, 2023
105? yes that overheating

You can easily upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5700X, 5800X, or 5800X3D with a motherboard BIOS update. Or, you can plan a whole new build. Obviously, the CPU upgrade would be more cost effective. If it were me, I would consider the 5700X for its cost effectiveness and a better air cooler like the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120.

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Legend, I'll give it a good shot that's what I'll do ! Thankyou ! Is the 5800X3D AM 4 socket also ? You mean I'll have to boot in the bios and update motherboard ?

Dec 3, 2023

Update, I've just taken my CPU fan off and found a Ryzen sticker on the fricking front of the CPU ! Also discovered on this AMD wraith CPU cooler when you pull the clip back to secure it in place my pc doesn't boot at all ! So im having to run it loose - So basically my cooler is broken and CPU most likely fried. I didn't have any thermal paste to put back on there lol ! My cousin I bought it off must have left the sticker on there lol ! Need to buy a new cooler and a new CPU most likely

Update, I've just taken my CPU fan off and found a Ryzen sticker on the fricking front of the CPU ! Also discovered on this AMD wraith CPU cooler when you pull the clip back to secure it in place my pc doesn't boot at all ! So im having to run it loose - So basically my cooler is broken and CPU most likely fried. I didn't have any thermal paste to put back on there lol ! My cousin I bought it off must have left the sticker on there lol ! Need to buy a new cooler and a new CPU most likely
That is quite a doozy. At least you know the issue now. I would buy some thermal paste and a new cooler. Also, 5800X3D is AM4 and should also work with a BIOS update.

Reactions: rekenukhh
Dec 3, 2023
That is quite a doozy. At least you know the issue now. I would buy some thermal paste and a new cooler. Also, 5800X3D is AM4 and should also work with a BIOS update.
Cant Thank You enough for your help ! So glad that I took my cooler off and looked behind ! Thermal paste came today and I've applied it, got my fan on the bracket properly and I'm getting my monitors refresh rate in CS and high frames in COD - CPU temp isn't even going past 50% and my GPU is being fully utilised !

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy

TRENDING THREADS