[SOLVED] GPU utilisation not hitting 100% - Is this normal?

May2ko

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
My previous GPU, a 2060, and now my current GPU, a 2070 Super, both have had this issue.

FIrstly, I have a Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz and 2070 Super all on an MSI B450M Mortar.

When I play a lot of games, my GPU utilisation often doesn't hit 100% - I am aware that a 2070 super is pretty overkill for 1080p but my goal is to achieve 144fps in majority of games at ultra settings. My CPU also isn't anywhere near 100% utilisation so I don't think there's a CPU bottleneck either.

I am achieving the same performance as most benchmarks on YouTube but I am not hitting 100% utilisation like it can be seen in the benchmark videos.

I can easily hit 100% utilisation in GPU stress tests like FurMark.

Anyone know why this might be happening?

Solution
it is actually not very ideal for any resource utilization to hit 100%. it isn't particularly unusual to see during load times and such, but it shouldn't be the norm during actual gameplay. hitting 100% is called 'topping out'. and you don't actually want that.

all-in-all, CPU/GPU utilization will only go as high as needed. you are seeing it maxed out in FurMark because that is intended. which really... you shouldn't see it above 99%.

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
it is actually not very ideal for any resource utilization to hit 100%. it isn't particularly unusual to see during load times and such, but it shouldn't be the norm during actual gameplay. hitting 100% is called 'topping out'. and you don't actually want that.

all-in-all, CPU/GPU utilization will only go as high as needed. you are seeing it maxed out in FurMark because that is intended. which really... you shouldn't see it above 99%.

Last edited:
Solution