Question GPU utilization drops to zero mid game

May 26, 2020
Hi, I recently built my first (decent) computer and I've been having a small issue. Randomly when playing GTA V, the game almost completely freezes up, and my GPU utilization drops to zero percent, forcing me to reset the computer. I've only had this happen once out of ~2 hours of game-play, but it's super annoying when it does happen. Here is my setup:

Asus B365M-A motherboard
Intel I5 9600k
2x16Gb Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz memory
Gigabyte Nvidia 1650 super OC (+150mhz core clock, +900mhz memory clock)

Normally when running GTA V, my GPU utilization sits around 60-80%, and my temperature never goes above 65 C.

From here I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to two potential issues:

1. My overclock
I think it could be the card going into some sort of fail-safe mode, but afterburner's OC scanner says the confidence level is 90%.

2. My PSU
It's some crappy 380w thing that makes an audible whining sound when under load (I know, I know; I have a better one on the way, I'm just trying to make do with what I have). I find it unlikely that the PSU would cut power exclusively to the GPU, which leads me to my other point, but my PSU is a pretty large concern.

If you guys have any insight to my issue, or I'm just making a dumb beginner mistake, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Splendid
Ambassador
1)Afterburner's OC Scanner always posted that, at least from my experience, even when it wasn't true. So I stopped using it.

2)You do realize the gpu OC is stressing that 'crappy 380w thing' harder, right? Disable the OC until the new unit comes in, and it may not scream as loudly.
Heck, it might even stop freezing...

Try setting an fps cap too - like 120fps? Depending on the settings you use, of course.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts