Question GPU utilization & FPS are both low when gaming ?

Mar 5, 2023
psu: Thermaltake Smart 80 Plus White 700W
cpu: Intel i7-4770k
gpu: GTX 1070
ram: 16gb

I've tried "High performance" in power settings + "prefer maximum performance" in nvidia control panel + updating drivers to latest.

My gpu utilization is always below 60% in every game and at low fps EXCEPT Apex Legends???(90%+, 70c-75c, 144fps).

Lutfij

Titan
That PSU shouldn't be anywhere near a PC, since it's more of an expensive paperweight. Lack of power to the GPU can also cause your GPU to underperform. To add, your processor is your limiter here. Just for the sake of relevance, what sort of CPU usages are you seeing when you're seeing those GPU usages?

If this issue cropped up after upgrading to the GTX1070, what were you working with prior to this GPU?

Make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version at this moment of time?

Which games are you running? If you're running more modern games, the CPU may not be performant enough to send enough render commands such that the GTX 1070 can really work.

Remember: the CPU is responsible for the maximum frame rate. The GPU is responsible for getting up to that point with eye candy.

Mar 5, 2023
Apex Legends 144fps 40%cpu 90%+gpu
minecraft w/ shaders 40-100fps(always fluctuating) at 30%cpu 45% gpu usage.
Elden Ring low settings 46fps 65%cpu 60%gpu

i was using a 980 ti before, but it would always cause my computer to turn off, so i upgraded to this thermaltake 700w psu(didn't fix problem), so then I just bought the 1070 and my computer stopped shutting off.
i had barely noticed my low gpu usage in games other than apex

asus z97k BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0323, 4/23/2014(should i update to latest?2016/04/15 )

update: i updated bios to most recent and nothing changed
That PSU shouldn't be anywhere near a PC, since it's more of an expensive paperweight. Lack of power to the GPU can also cause your GPU to underperform. To add, your processor is your limiter here. Just for the sake of relevance, what sort of CPU usages are you seeing when you're seeing those GPU usages?

If this issue cropped up after upgrading to the GTX1070, what were you working with prior to this GPU?

Make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version at this moment of time?

Last edited: