Question GPU utilization in games

Oct 20, 2022
hello! i have an rtx 3060 laptop, i noticed that in some titles, among us, team fortress2, csgo and others, the gpu utilization appears unstable, 20-40-50-20, i didn't notice any fps loss, is this something i need to worry about? my cpu on the other hand remains stable,

Ryzen 5 5600h
rtx 3060L
16 ddr4

A GPU only loads up based on the amount of data and what data operations are performed. I'd say that is perfectly normal. It does, however tend to say the CPU is not able to feed enough data fast enough to fully load the GPU. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if the CPU remains much higher, while the GPU sticks to under 50% (looks like mostly 20% to 40%), then it means you need a more powerful CPU (or data throughput) to increase GPU load (or software evolution from the game title you are looking at...software often can be optimized, but many of those game titles are likely well-optimized already).

Yup, it's either your CPU that can't prepare frames fast enough for it, or there is a limiter at another place. Think vsync or a simple fps limiter. If your GPU doesn't have enough to do to be loaded 100%, then it won't be loaded 100%.
And stuff that happens in the games obviously influences what the card has to do. In a scene with lots of explosions and props and particles there is obviously more to do than when you're sitting in the menu.