[SOLVED] GPU Utilization never above 40%

Evviil

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
My system consists of an i5 4690K at 4.3GHz and a GTX 1080 FTW 2, 16GB ram
All around a very fast system, but in battlefield 4 I do notice that my GPU utilization never goes past %40 and that's even a stretch.
CPU sits at 100% the whole time

Any Ideas? I can't imagine a 1080 bottlenecks an i5

I would really appreciate some insight.

Solution
"CPU sits at 100% the whole time ... I can't imagine a 1080 bottlenecks an i5."

You must have a very strange idea of what constitutes a CPU bottleneck, because a CPU at 100% and an underutilized GPU is very much a CPU bottleneck.

I hate to break it to you, but a i5-4690k (even when overclocked) does not have the makings of a "very fast system." No matter how much you overclock your CPU, its only 4 cores and 4 threads which is absolutely the very bare minimum to run anything resembling a modern game. 4 core 8 thread CPUs are barely enough for most titles, and some titles struggle even with 6 core 12 thread CPUs, which are considered the sweet spot for gaming these days.

If you want higher GPU utilization, you need a much newer/more...

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
All around a very fast system, but in battlefield 4 I do notice that my GPU utilization never goes past %40 and that's even a stretch.

the 4690k bottlenecks the 1080 obviously. your 4690k is only 4 cores, with no hyperthreading...modern intel cpus have 10+ cores and 20+ threads with hyperthreading. you won't get the full potential of the 1080 with that cpu imo.

Reactions: Krotow

You must have a very strange idea of what constitutes a CPU bottleneck, because a CPU at 100% and an underutilized GPU is very much a CPU bottleneck.

I hate to break it to you, but a i5-4690k (even when overclocked) does not have the makings of a "very fast system." No matter how much you overclock your CPU, its only 4 cores and 4 threads which is absolutely the very bare minimum to run anything resembling a modern game. 4 core 8 thread CPUs are barely enough for most titles, and some titles struggle even with 6 core 12 thread CPUs, which are considered the sweet spot for gaming these days.

If you want higher GPU utilization, you need a much newer/more powerful CPU. If you can afford it, a Z490 motherboard paired with an Intel i5-10600k would be a good bet; it has 6 cores and 12 threads, is overclockable to 5.0-5.1 GHz, and has been discounted a lot due to the new Ryzen 5000 CPUs outperforming it in a few metrics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow
Solution

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Your elderly i5 is getting absolutely trounced, Battlefield 4 is a happy multi-core game and your 4 cores are struggling to cope. If your motherboard is capable(please mention which model it is in detail), a 4790K may improve your utilization quite a bit, but only at low cost/used.

Evviil

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017

If you want higher GPU utilization, you need a much newer/more powerful CPU. If you can afford it, a Z490 motherboard paired with an Intel i5-10600k would be a good bet; it has 6 cores and 12 threads, is overclockable to 5.0-5.1 GHz, and has been discounted a lot due to the new Ryzen 5000 CPUs outperforming it in a few metrics.

Battlefield 4 is the only game that does this. This system also does play VR on the HTC vive just fine...

I have had thoughts about upgrading here in a couple months however. I was thinking the i5 10600K would be a good option.

Evviil

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Your elderly i5 is getting absolutely trounced, Battlefield 4 is a happy multi-core game and your 4 cores are struggling to cope. If your motherboard is capable(please mention which model it is in detail), a 4790K may improve your utilization quite a bit, but only at low cost/used.

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3, If i'm upgrading anything it's going to be a good step up.

BF 4 is a game from 2013 and has graphics that by now run well on iGPUs.
If you want more GPU utilization ramp up the resolution scale to 4k and put the settings on the highest possible.