[SOLVED] GPU - Vertical Mount?

Xavier Bouttier

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
So, i ordered all of the parts, and they're coming in daily from different vendors and should have them all by next week.

I'm too excited and so am already planning the actual build, layout, fans, the whole 9 yards haha.

The case supports mounting the GPU vertically, I have the bracket but need the PCI extender I believe.
The case has a tempered glass side panel and not a mesh so no air can get in from there.

My question is.. is there any advantage in terms of cooling of mounting the GPU as such? Or is it just purely for aesthetics, and is also counter-productive for cooling the card.

My logic says that the hot air that would come from the GPU would not be blowing onto the already hot CPU bay.. but against the glass panel??

Any input appreciated!

Solution
So, i ordered all of the parts, and they're coming in daily from different vendors and should have them all by next week.

I'm too excited and so am already planning the actual build, layout, fans, the whole 9 yards haha.

The case supports mounting the GPU vertically, I have the bracket but need the PCI extender I believe.
The case has a tempered glass side panel and not a mesh so no air can get in from there.

My question is.. is there any advantage in terms of cooling of mounting the GPU as such? Or is it just purely for aesthetics, and is also counter-productive for cooling the card.

My logic says that the hot air that would come from the GPU would not be blowing onto the already hot CPU bay.. but against the glass panel??

Any...

I assume your GPU is typical fan style: two or three fans drawing air in and discharging it from the fins around the edge of the card. If such a GPU is mounted vertically and can draw cool air from outside the case (as with an open air case) I have to think it can be helpful for GPU cooling. But too often people mount it close up against a glass panel to showcase it so it's having difficulty even drawing warm air.

I think you're right, though, in that it will still discharge it's hot air up towards the CPU, so little to no benefit for that if using a typical tower air cooling arrangement. A liquid CPU cooling setup would work better since a front mounted radiator would still be using outside air for cooling the CPU. Set up right, that could be the best of both worlds: cool outside air directly to both CPU radiator and intakes for the GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier Bouttier

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Any input appreciated!

It's almost purely for aesthetics.

Also, you've got the orientation backwards; the pretty fans you see on GPUs are intakes not exhaust, so it's not blowing against the glass panel but trying to get air from against the glass panel and still sending it behind it and to the sides.

Reactions: Xavier Bouttier
Solution