Question GPU VRAM is suspicious?

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I've noticed a few things about my 2060 PC which are concerning me and I can't find answers to.

To my knowledge, Shared GPU memory is used when I run out of VRAM, but this doesn't seem to be the case for the 2060 and I reach 40% or higher Shared memory usage while VRAM usage gets capped at around 50% or higher
Does this mean Faulty VRAM? I don't get any screen artifacts btw (which I heard is caused by damaged VRAM)
I tried finding some VRAM tests and none really use 100% anything close to full capacity of VRAM

I also have a second question/issue which relates to this, I think
I have 16GB of DDR4 ram in this case, which is enough for most of modern games such as Control (or other memory intensive tasks)
I tried running Control and fortnite today, and I got "Out of Video Memory" Error for both game (before entering games)s!
Then I enabled Virtual Memory and all errors were gone!
Why is it this?
I had Lots of free RAM and VRAM in both cases.

I'm very confused with how Virtual memory relates to "Out of Video memory" error, I also tried running MDSCHED.exe to see how it goes, RAM seems fine and all of it is usable

I'm running latest Nvidia drivers (v471.XX I don't remember rest), I can't figure this out nor troubleshoot it, So by this, it means I can't launch literally any modern game without Virtual memory (Virtual memory was the fix to low video memory errors).

Ralston18

Titan
Are you disabling virtual memory?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system use of available resources. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Determine what all is using memory and to what extent.

Overall, my thought is to just leave virtual memory enabled and let Windows manage the size.

Otherwise the following link should be helpful:

https://windowsreport.com/how-much-vram-i-have-windows-10/

If necessary do some screen captures showing the problem(s) and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).