Question GPU Vram maxing out, games lag really bad.

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
I have been having this problem for over 2 years now and I still don't know the resolution. I have had a gtx 1070, 1080, and now the RX 5700 XT with all the same issues. The VRAM maxes out and my games/computer crashes. Just today I was playing Minecraft which isn't possible anymore. The VRAM steadily increases up to 8gbs and then my computer freezes and the game crashes. The same thing happens in every other game now, especially in VR titles.

Things ive tried
; DDU probably 100 plus times
: GPU in another computer
: New cpu
: New motherboard
: New drives
: New windows installations
: New GPU
; New psu
: Changing a trillion different settings in the bios (different pci gen, different ram timings, different ram frequency, cpu overclock and underclock, and much more)
: Moving the gpu around in the pci-e slots
: removing everything but the keyboard and mouse.
: There are so many things I have tried over the years and I still cant resolve this

My friends pc with a 1050, YES A 1050 NON TI BEATS MY COMPUTER IN GAMING!!! WTF!!!! He also has a 1700x 16gb ram

Here is my pc
: 3 500gb wd drives
: 1 1tb drive
: 4 case fans
: USB pci card
: Vive wireless card
: Ryzen 3800x
: RX 5700 XT / GTX 1080 / GTX 1070
: Corsair 16Gb 8x8gb 3200mhz
: 750w evga
: Asus b450-f strix (new) Asus b350-f strix (old)

Please for the love of god help me, I have made posts before and no one responded. My GPU usage spikes all over the place when playing games and the VRAM stays at a constant 8/8gb.

This is with EVERY GAME And even programs like substance painter and photoshop.

dude,i have never seen anything like this,especially when you said you have done so much trouble shooting steps
So my questions for you are:
-Did you buy all of those 3 cards from like amazon,newegg,or did you buy them off off ebay or something like that?
-This one might be a bit of a stupid question,but did you make sure the drivers were updated for every single gpu out of those 3,when running them?
I honestly have no idea what else could be the issue.

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
dude,i have never seen anything like this,especially when you said you have done so much trouble shooting steps
-Did you buy all of those 3 cards from like amazon,newegg,or did you buy them off off ebay or something like that?
-This one might be a bit of a stupid question,but did you make sure the drivers were updated for every single gpu out of those 3,when running them?
I dont know either. I have bought all of them throught ebay from newegg brand new (Due to shipping reasons). Everything is updated to the newest. I am going to try my moms old dell tomorrow with this gpu even though I know there will be a cpu bottleneck (Core 2 quad). I am really desperate at this point because I have rebuilt this thing so many times. The only og parts is the ram and ssd.

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
After further inspection. I noticed that when playing games my Copy Engine on my gpu spikes up to about 60-70% and then my vram goes up and my fps drops to about 20-30 from 180-190 and then the 3D engine on the gpu drops to about 10-20%.... What would be doing this?

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
you changed basically all parts already so they are not even the same PC's

that's some paranormal stuff

or maybe your keyboard or mouse are damaged and send a lots of interrupts and make the PC slow down. well on theory it's possible. since it's the only thing you didn't change...
at this point you can also just buy your friend's rig lol

or maybe your source for installing windows is corrupted / has virus or something. did you downloaded it directly from microsoft, using the ISO / USB making tool ?

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
you changed basically all parts already so they are not even the same PC's

that's some paranormal stuff

or maybe your keyboard or mouse are damaged and send a lots of interrupts and make the PC slow down. well on theory it's possible. since it's the only thing you didn't change...
at this point you can also just buy your friend's rig lol

or maybe your source for installing windows is corrupted / has virus or something. did you downloaded it directly from microsoft, using the ISO / USB making tool ?
So here is what still what is original from my old pc. My Corsair vengeance ram, my mouse, and a few of my hard drives, and that's it. I ran Malwarebytes overnight to see and it did find some stuff but it didn't change anything. I just reinstalled windows last week using a brand new usb thumb drive, I actually just got it from my college and then use the media creation tool. I have also tried using a different hard drive before the same issue came back. As of now the ram is the only thing I havent changed but I dont know how that would effect my gpu. Also I would like to mention that my ram at idle is using about 6-7gb out of 16gb and when I look in task manager, that just doesnt add up.... Im really confused, did I build something wrong? Am I just that unlucky that ll the parts I've bought are dead? I mean I have been having this same issue for YEARS. Started once I started using ryzen chips ._ .

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
well maybe do a ram test then
several benchmarks available :

- free : google's GSAT it's actually a program that runs on linux so you need something like ubuntu on a USB boot drive to run it. the link i have provided is a distro fitted just for running GSAT from a usb drive
it catches integrity errors (but not as much as memtest 86), and stability errors (but not as much as ramtest).
but it's a good starting point

- free : memtest / memtest 86+ : this one tests the integrity of the ram, but not really the stabiity. it may catches stability issues if you let it run 8+ hours. has to be run from a USB boot drive

- paid : ramtest : the best tool to check stability. 3hrs is enough to check like 10000% of your ram, and at this point you are very sure it's good. It's a windows program. close all unnecessary services before to run it in order to free up as much ram as possible.
being run from windows may be a good thing, for exemple if the problem is tied to the OS or drivers. it's closer to your real world usage.

PS : idle ram usage on win10 is not really accurate. the more ram you have, the more the OS pre-allocate stuff in your ram. that's why things feels so fast in W10 compared to W7 or xp .

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
well maybe do a ram test then
several benchmarks available :

- free : google's GSAT it's actually a program that runs on linux so you need something like ubuntu on a USB boot drive to run it. the link i have provided is a distro fitted just for running GSAT from a usb drive
it catches integrity errors (but not as much as memtest 86), and stability errors (but not as much as ramtest).
but it's a good starting point

- free : memtest / memtest 86+ : this one tests the integrity of the ram, but not really the stabiity. it may catches stability issues if you let it run 8+ hours. has to be run from a USB boot drive

- paid : ramtest : the best tool to check stability. 3hrs is enough to check like 10000% of your ram, and at this point you are very sure it's good. It's a windows program. close all unnecessary services before to run it in order to free up as much ram as possible.
being run from windows may be a good thing, for exemple if the problem is tied to the OS or drivers. it's closer to your real world usage.

PS : idle ram usage on win10 is not really accurate. the more ram you have, the more the OS pre-allocate stuff in your ram. that's why things feels so fast in W10 compared to W7 or xp .
So I tried different ram from my roommates pc and it did nothing. Also tried his 2070 and it works fine. But when I put the 5700 xt in his it does the same thing again. It did this with my 1080 as well. I put my 1080 in and it lags, I put my 5700 xt in it lags, I put his 2070 and its fine.... wtf...