[SOLVED] GPU VRAM stuck at 4GB/11GB and 100% usage

KevFrie

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/keV_/saved/MQP2FT

I have been having an issue in which every game I play I must have in low graphics settings in order to get high frame rates. I've had this in mind for a while but not until recently, I've checked my CPU and GPU usage.
To my surprise I found that my CPU usage never reached 100, it stayed within the 20 to 60% usage.
My GPU on the other hand maxed out at 100% usage when the game was in high graphics but at the same time it maxed out at about 4 GB of vram out of the 11 my card should have. When the game was in low graphics settings the GPU wasn't at 100% usage but it stayed at 3.9-4.2GB VRAM usage.
Does anyone know of this is normal? I would like to get some insight on this before I go buying another expensive card or something. I can provide videos, screenshots, and play other games or run GPU/CPU stress tests. Let me know.

Solution
If your CPU hit 100% you'd most likely be bottlenecked and as far as vram goes, most games won't use more than 4-6gb in the highest texture settings. 100% gpu usage and low cpu usage is what you want.

kanewolf

Titan
Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/keV_/saved/MQP2FT

I have been having an issue in which every game I play I must have in low graphics settings in order to get high frame rates. I've had this in mind for a while but not until recently, I've checked my CPU and GPU usage.
To my surprise I found that my CPU usage never reached 100, it stayed within the 20 to 60% usage.
My GPU on the other hand maxed out at 100% usage when the game was in high graphics but at the same time it maxed out at about 4 GB of vram out of the 11 my card should have. When the game was in low graphics settings the GPU wasn't at 100% usage but it stayed at 3.9-4.2GB VRAM usage.
Does anyone know of this is normal? I would like to get some insight on this before I go buying another expensive card or something. I can provide videos, screenshots, and play other games or run GPU/CPU stress tests. Let me know.
VRAM usage is a function of resolution and graphics settings. You have a 1080p monitor. Not using all the VRAM does not seem unusual.

Gzr

Apr 8, 2020
If your CPU hit 100% you'd most likely be bottlenecked and as far as vram goes, most games won't use more than 4-6gb in the highest texture settings. 100% gpu usage and low cpu usage is what you want.

Solution