GPU VRAM v SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajhmartin903

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
I am considering two laptops of similar spec.

One has a Nvidia GTX 980M 8GB card, with a 250GB SSD drive with 540mbs read, 520mbs write.

The other has a Nvidia GTX 980M 4GB card, with a 250GB SSD drive with 1600mbs read, 1130mbs write.

Which would be more suited to gaming? I've heard many arguments that the VRAM on a GPU is largely irrelevant (at least currently) beyond 4GB, but would you rather the 8GB card, or the faster SSD drive?

theyeti87

Honorable
Is there a specification as to which solid state drives are installed in these laptops? Brand and model? Those are notable differences in read/write.

My gut instinct leans toward the 4GB model. The extra vram would be more beneficial in a desktop setting in my opinion. Laptops aren't where you push the envelope in terms of gaming performance.

What kinds of games are you looking to run on this machine?

ajhmartin903

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
As for games, the likes of Skyrim on Ultra will probably be the cream of the crop (although in time I'll play more demanding things I imagine). Ideally I'd prefer to build a desktop pc, but it's just not an option in my house as I have no desk whatsoever to put a monitor/keyboard/anything else on.

Status
Not open for further replies.