Question GPU weird noise and super loud fans (coil whine). Now pc randomly shutting down

Jan 18, 2020
Hello!

Just got my RTX 2070 Super a day ago. Had it set up and everything seemed fine, untill i turned on my PC. My Gpu started to coil whine, i turned off my PC reinserted the gpu and all. Turned it on again but it started doing the same thing again.
I chose to ignore it and download the latest Nvidia drivers, after a bit of use the coil whine stopped and my fans started turning on and off consistently. I went to my MSI afterburner and had my fan speed set to 25 (i set it to 25 bcs i used to own a GTX 960 4GB and on idle it would work just fine and the temps would be great too). That did not fix my problem but just made it worse, my gpu started turning on and off consistently i tried turning up the fan speed up to 30 but found the sweat stop at 40% fan speed. But that still does not fix my problem its too noisy on idle and in game it just gets me higher temps then id like. I tried to set it to auto while gaming but then the gpu automatically goes to 60-90% fan speed which is way too loud and i do not understand why its doing that bcs when i had my 960 i could play all games at 40% fan speed and get good temps and almost no noise. I have went to some forums and saw that some ppl had the same problem and almost everyone said that they will get a refund and a new gpu from a diff manufacturer. Should i do the same or is what is happening to me normal ?

Test results when changing the fan speed manually:
Gigabyte RTX 2070 super Windforce (3 Fans)
Fan speed 1%: Fans loudly goto 600RPM and turn off, repeating every 8 seconds, with a slight clicking noise.
Fan speed 3%: Fans loudly goto 720RPM and turn off, repeating every 6 seconds, with a slight clicking noise.
Fan speed 5%: Fans loudly goto 850RPM and turn off, repeating every 5 seconds, no clicking noise.
Fan speed 10%: Fans loudly goto 1300RPM and turn off, repeating every 3 seconds, no clicking noise.
Fan speed 20%: Fans loudly goto 1400RPM and turn off, repeating every 2 seconds, no clicking noise.
Fan speed 30%: Fans loudly goto 1500RPM and turn off, repeating every second, no clicking noise.
Fan speed 40%: Fans goto 1230RPM and they stay on as supposed to.

I have included a few links of YT videos that have the same problem as me:

Fans turning On and OFF again:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30aR3QGxChI

GPU coil whine / rattle:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHShogpN_8

My GPU:
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gv-n207swf3oc-8gc/p/N82E16814932179

Here are a few questions i have:
  1. Is coil whine normal ? (is this common in high end GPU) (i did not have any coil whine on my last Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce 4gb)
  2. Are these loud fan noises common in new GPUs or is it just on my side ?
  3. Should i get a refund ?
  4. Should i get a RTX 2070 Super but from a diff manufacturer ? (not Gigabyte)

My new specs:
I5-4460
16gb ddr3 ram
Rtx 2070 super
500w PSU
Gigabyte B85M-D3H

Recently my pc has been shuting down and i dont know why. I think its my PSU but im not sure. Even tried putting in my old GPU but it still shuts off randomly. Em getting a new 700w psu soon thou.