GPU weird performance fps drop

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
So I opened msi ab. (I didn't touch any of the clock rates) I was trying to use it to have the overlay in my games. I then set all my settings and tested the overlay in borderlands 2. Worked well...

It then told me I was getting 20fps, it was really laggy. I closed ab and everything and opened fraps to see fps. Still 15-20fps. I got a bit scared and restarted my pc. I opened borderlands 2 and got 150fps.

Could it be after burner? Can after burner limit your fps or something? that overlay would be quite handy if it didn't do that. Or is it that it just has problems with AMD drivers?

Solution
do you only have this issue when you run MSI afterburner,i have been using that for a few years to monitor my gpu temps and increase fan speeds,it has never given me any problems,it generally works for AMD and nvidia

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
do you only have this issue when you run MSI afterburner,i have been using that for a few years to monitor my gpu temps and increase fan speeds,it has never given me any problems,it generally works for AMD and nvidia

Solution

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

Yes only when I used msi ab and activated the monitor

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

Also it had high usage

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
MSI afterburner will only set clocks if you set it up to do that,at the bottom left there is a small box to tick that says (apply overclocking at system start up)you can configure it to run the settings and save the profiles that you want when you start it,was it afterburner that you uninstalled and reinstalled?..and did this fix the issue that you had with FPS drop?

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

Yes I did uninstall it and reinstall ab. works fine now. overlay works as well all good :) Still not quite sure what caused it but it only happend ever since I opened ab before I uninstalled.