Question GPU will randomly turn off and need help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 3, 2020
I have a ryzen 5 3600x with a b450 tomohawk max motherboard and a 5700 xt gigabyte gaming oc. My ram is 16 gb ddr4 and my power supply is a 600 watt evga bronze. Basically I will be chilling doing just about anything on my pc and the screen will freeze, go black and then says the monitor has no signal. The GPU literally straight up turns off. I don't think it is my power supply cause it will happen when I am not even using a lot of power consumption. I have no idea how to fix this and will take any help/advice. Btw this happens almost once a day.

Edit: I found this reddit post and I feel like it might one of the sources of the problem: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5vcgoz/graphics_card_turns_off_randomly_without_warning/

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok.
The video scheduler internal error is caused due to errors associated with the graphics card and has a stop error code. Other reasons for this error include corrupt system file, recent software/hardware changes, corrupt Windows registry, malware or virus infection, and outdated graphics drivers.

-Scan your PC for any possible malware with Adwcleaner: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
-Run a DISM and sfc scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-Is Windows up to date?
-Update the motherboard drivers if you haven't already.

Jan 3, 2020
Ok.
The video scheduler internal error is caused due to errors associated with the graphics card and has a stop error code. Other reasons for this error include corrupt system file, recent software/hardware changes, corrupt Windows registry, malware or virus infection, and outdated graphics drivers.

-Scan your PC for any possible malware with Adwcleaner: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
-Run a DISM and sfc scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-Is Windows up to date?
-Update the motherboard drivers if you haven't already.
to start off first my bios are only 4-5 months old and how exactly do I check if windows is "up to date"?

Jan 3, 2020
to start off first my bios are only 4-5 months old and how exactly do I check if windows is "up to date"?
I scanned and nothing cam up. Also when you say for the reasons "recent software/hardware changes" what exactly do u mean? I just built my pc a month ago and earlier today I got new drivers.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In Windows Search, type 'Updates', and Windows Update should pop up. Go there, and select the option to search for updates.

Also when you say for the reasons "recent software/hardware changes" what exactly do u mean?
Disregard. That was a copy-paste from having looked up the error code.
The only thing you recently changed was updating the gpu driver via DDU.

Just double checking, but you downloaded the gpu driver from AMD and not Gigabyte, correct?

Jan 3, 2020
In Windows Search, type 'Updates', and Windows Update should pop up. Go there, and select the option to search for updates.

Disregard. That was a copy-paste from having looked up the error code.
The only thing you recently changed was updating the gpu driver via DDU.

Just double checking, but you downloaded the gpu driver from AMD and not Gigabyte, correct?
yes i literally typed "5700 xt drivers" went to amd's page and downloaded drivers. I downloaded ones that were a couple months old cause they were good i have heard. Do u think upgrading to the most recent drivers will fix the problem?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No idea, but it won't hurt to try... I am almost out of ideas.

Short of trying a new power supply or RMA'ing the gpu, I've no idea what the cause could be anymore.
Some users appear to run into this scenario where the Navi gpus just seem to refuse to run smoothly in their PCs regardless of troubleshooting. I've only ever come across a couple of threads like that though.

Jan 3, 2020

Short of trying a new power supply or RMA'ing the gpu, I've no idea what the cause could be anymore.
Some users appear to run into this scenario where the Navi gpus just seem to refuse to run smoothly in their PCs regardless of troubleshooting. I've only ever come across a couple of threads like that though.
alright I will try updating bios and then updating gpu drivers tomorrow.

Jan 3, 2020

Alright so here's the story. Today I am going to update BIOS and if I still get crashes I am going to return the card and get a 2070 super because I got b-day money the other day. Before I return the card IF i need to are you 100 percent sure it isn't my psu? Everything is still running except my graphics card which does still have the lights on it when crashes so I don't know why it would be my psu. If I can eliminate the psu then I know it is my graphics card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No way to know it's the psu without trying another one, unfortunately. Am I 100% percent sure? No, but this is what I DO know:
'600w EVGA bronze' is rather broad, but when I do a search in Partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&A=600000000000&e=2
There's only 3 matches, and none of them are very viable for high end gpus like the 5700XT or 2070 Super - cheaper gpus would be 'OK'.
It's questionable whether any of those 3 are able to provide sustained, good, clean power to all your hardware.

Alright so here's the story. Today I am going to update BIOS and if I still get crashes I am going to return the card and get a 2070 super because I got b-day money the other day. Before I return the card IF i need to are you 100 percent sure it isn't my psu? Everything is still running except my graphics card which does still have the lights on it when crashes so I don't know why it would be my psu. If I can eliminate the psu then I know it is my graphics card.

No way to know it's the psu without trying another one, unfortunately. Am I 100% percent sure? No, but this is what I DO know:
'600w EVGA bronze' is rather broad, but when I do a search in Partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&A=600000000000&e=2
There's only 3 matches, and none of them are very viable for high end gpus like the 5700XT or 2070 Super - cheaper gpus would be 'OK'.
It's questionable whether any of those 3 are able to provide sustained, good, clean power to all your hardware.
Even if the PSU wasn't bad, you probably should replace that first anyways. Even if it isn't the issue, it may become an issue in a year or so.