Question GPU will randomly turn off and need help.

Jan 3, 2020
I have a ryzen 5 3600x with a b450 tomohawk max motherboard and a 5700 xt gigabyte gaming oc. My ram is 16 gb ddr4 and my power supply is a 600 watt evga bronze. Basically I will be chilling doing just about anything on my pc and the screen will freeze, go black and then says the monitor has no signal. The GPU literally straight up turns off. I don't think it is my power supply cause it will happen when I am not even using a lot of power consumption. I have no idea how to fix this and will take any help/advice. Btw this happens almost once a day.

Edit: I found this reddit post and I feel like it might one of the sources of the problem: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5vcgoz/graphics_card_turns_off_randomly_without_warning/

Jan 3, 2020
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Was this a build from scratch, or did you carry over your C drive from your previous build?
If it was the latter, did you reinstall Windows?
I carried over the hard drive but I out windows on a flash drive and then formatted the hard drive and then brought it over installed windows.

Jan 3, 2020
I'm sorry, what?

So you essentially cloned your Windows files, formatted the drive, and copied it back on?

I'm sorry, what?

So you essentially cloned your Windows files, formatted the drive, and copied it back on?
So these are the steps I took. 1. put windows on a flash drive. 2. formatted the hard drive that used to have windows.
Also how could windows relate to the problem cause when my computer does this the only thing that shuts off is my graphics card, everything else is on lit up and running.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, since it's only the gpu shutting off on you, there aren't too many possible causes:
1)Drivers:
Download Display Driver Uninstaller: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Try a downloading a different Adrenaline driver package - don't install it yet. Run DDU(requires Safe Mode), select the graphics driver to be removed, and click Clean and Restart.
Afterwards, install the driver and test the system.

Is Windows up to date?

2)Monitor cable is going bad:
Try different monitor cables, simple as that.

3)Power supply:
One of these units, I guess? https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&A=600000000000&e=2
Regardless of which, they're budget units for home/office PCs; not exactly ideal for a gaming oriented rig.
Try a different, higher quality psu.

4)By chance the gpu you got is a lemon:
Pretty self-explanatory. RMA the gpu.

Jan 3, 2020
Well, since it's only the gpu shutting off on you, there aren't too many possible causes:
1)Drivers:
Download Display Driver Uninstaller: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Try a downloading a different Adrenaline driver package - don't install it yet. Run DDU(requires Safe Mode), select the graphics driver to be removed, and click Clean and Restart.
Afterwards, install the driver and test the system.

Is Windows up to date?

2)Monitor cable is going bad:
Try different monitor cables, simple as that.

3)Power supply:
One of these units, I guess? https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&A=600000000000&e=2
Regardless of which, they're budget units for home/office PCs; not exactly ideal for a gaming oriented rig.
Try a different, higher quality psu.

4)By chance the gpu you got is a lemon:
Pretty self-explanatory. RMA the gpu.

Jan 3, 2020
Windows is up to date also I will try the DDU. I got a display port cable literally like a month ago,plus why would my gpu turn off if the display port cable is bad? Also my last resort is getting a new power supply and is there any way to tell if it is my power supply cause it only happens to my gpu.

Jan 3, 2020
A short, otherwise a broken cable would just yield a black screen.

Yeah, when the crash doesn't happen anymore.
Ok so while typing it literally just happened again. I got more info tho. So I was watching a twitch stream and when my screen went blank I could still hear the audio also the gpu fans werent spinning however the logo was still glowing on the gpu. This makes me really think that it is a driver issue.

Jan 3, 2020
alright I used ddu to uninstall the old ones and I got new drivers I will keep you informed on how it goes. Thank you for the help so far!
so that was long lived but I think this is based on a whole other problem, so I just got "your pc ran into a problem. We're just collecting some error info and then we'll restart for you" and my pc just shot off randomly. I have had this happen on almost a weekly basis and I don't know what to do? Maybe should I wait for another windows update?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
so that was long lived but I think this is based on a whole other problem, so I just got "your pc ran into a problem. We're just collecting some error info and then we'll restart for you" and my pc just shot off randomly. I have had this happen on almost a weekly basis and I don't know what to do? Maybe should I wait for another windows update?
Well, it's definitely not the driver.
Do you remember the error code that popped up during the BSOD?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It would've looked like this(see the stop code near the bottom?):
your-pc-ran-into-problem-1.png

Is there anyway to check the error code?
Yes. In Windows Search, enter Reliability History. There should be a timestamp for the event along with further details.