[SOLVED] GPU will run but won't connect to monitor after reapplying thermal paste to CPU

FantaFox

Honorable
Dec 10, 2016
I tried reapplying thermal paste to the CPU for the first time and ended up with some spillage, some went onto the mother board but I've gotten it mostly off, the issue now is my GPU doesn't seem to be working properly, I can plug my monitor into my motherboard but my graphics hard doesn't display when connected, the fans turn on when I boot my pc then turn off afterwards.

I'm unsure if it could be related to the thermal paste spill, the cpu or if I just knocked something.

I didn't interact with the GPU while changing the CPU thermal paste, I've checked the power cords and it seems to be getting power, I took it in and out of the socket, device manager isn't picking it up either. I'm not sure what to do

Edit:

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
CPU cooler: cooler master masterliquid 120
RAM: 2x VENGEANCE® LPX 8GB DDR4 DRAM
Graphics card: Msi geforce 970 gtx 4gb
PSU: Corsair Vengeance 650m

I went into the BIOS and have confirmed the motherboard is not detecting my graphics card at all, my card doesn't fit in the other slots due to my case shape either so I'm limited to the one slot it is already in, I'm wondering if the thermal paste dripping on the motherboard has broken the slot somehow

Last edited:
Solution
I tried reapplying thermal paste to the CPU for the first time and ended up with some spillage, some went onto the mother board but I've gotten it mostly off, the issue now is my GPU doesn't seem to be working properly, I can plug my monitor into my motherboard but my graphics hard doesn't display when connected, the fans turn on when I boot my pc then turn off afterwards.

I'm unsure if it could be related to the thermal paste spill, the cpu or if I just knocked something.

I didn't interact with the GPU while changing the CPU thermal paste, I've checked the power cords and it seems to be getting power, I took it in and out of the socket, device manager isn't picking it up either. I'm not sure what to do

Remove heatsink...

Remove heatsink. Clean with rubbing alcohol with a soft lint free cloth, or q-tips. Gently pull up CPU and check for damage to pins. Reseat, Repaste, Retest. Pull battery and short CMOS jumper. Press power button with no plug in computer. This will ensure any PSU power in capacitors are drained and help ensure a CMOS BIOS reset. Reset CMOS jumper, Re-plug everything back in and hold down delete on power up.

There is a possibility you damaged a vital component on the motherboard either with cleaning, or the thermal paste. If you have something like artic silver compound it is capacitive in nature and can damage motherboards if it arcs across conductors.

My fingers are crossed for you.

Solution

FantaFox

Honorable
Dec 10, 2016
full system spec?
test with another gpu?
I don't have another GPU to test with, let me know if you need any other specs, not too sure what I need to give

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
CPU cooler: cooler master masterliquid 120
RAM: 2x VENGEANCE® LPX 8GB DDR4 DRAM
Graphics card: Msi geforce 970 gtx 4gb
PSU: Corsair Vengeance 650m

FantaFox

Honorable
Dec 10, 2016
Remove heatsink. Clean with rubbing alcohol with a soft lint free cloth, or q-tips. Gently pull up CPU and check for damage to pins. Reseat, Repaste, Retest. Pull battery and short CMOS jumper. Press power button with no plug in computer. This will ensure any PSU power in capacitors are drained and help ensure a CMOS BIOS reset. Reset CMOS jumper, Re-plug everything back in and hold down delete on power up.

There is a possibility you damaged a vital component on the motherboard either with cleaning, or the thermal paste. If you have something like artic silver compound it is capacitive in nature and can damage motherboards if it arcs across conductors.

My fingers are crossed for you.

My CPU doesn't have pins, just the flat plates, it's an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz. My problem seems to be more so with the GPU I think, the motherboard just isn't detecting it and I'm not sure why, it 100% has power going to it, it'll turn on at the start and it's heating up as though it's running, just seems to not be connecting

My CPU doesn't have pins, just the flat plates, it's an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz. My problem seems to be more so with the GPU I think, the motherboard just isn't detecting it and I'm not sure why, it 100% has power going to it, it'll turn on at the start and it's heating up as though it's running, just seems to not be connecting

All CPU's have pins either on the motherboard or on the cpu itself. If the cpu wasn't properly secured and it slid, then it won't boot.

Your 6600 has built in graphics. Pull your video card then connect to the motherboard graphics out and see if it boots.

TRENDING THREADS